Dilute Gouldian

Includes Species Profile.
Craig52

matcho wrote:Sam
That bird is a direct descendant of a cock bird I bought from a drycleaner. Never told what it was but that it could throw blues which he was trying for. Euro yellow, Aust yellow and all the other mutations leave my head spinning. I have no idea if it is a Sf of DF Euro or Australian yellow. I had bird a few years go, very similar to the other pictures which have been posted. Sold it off/gave it away. Gee, the goulds are really starting to give me the sh..s.

So Sam,
Here is the question, that particular cock bird is with a black headed, yellow tipped beak, purple breast, green back hen. Try and put that into the forecaster , the ytb aint there.

Ken

PS. All I hope for is healthy chicks!
Ken,the bird is a SFEY,if you got it from the mad Italian i have seen it before and he was calling it a lime but i don't think so.He did have some dilutes at one stage but stuffed them trying to breed other mutations into them.
I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure you will breed EY hens from that pairing straight away but if he is an AD and she is "normal" all the young will be normal looking but split AD,time will tell. Craig
matcho

Craig,
I have no qualms about where I bought or what I bought because it was over 30 yrs since I bred birds and goulds were not in the equation. Just wanted to start again, couldn't believe 3 weeks after putting them in they were sitting on eggs. It is just that in those days there were only normals and they were all wild caught, oh well , live and learn I suppose. Yes it was one of his spare cocks.

Not to worry. Still a top bloke.

Hey life is an adventure, not a dress rehearsal.

Ken.
E Orix

The Dilutes that Ray had were nearly cream especially their backs.
Very light coloured bodies but still could be sexed eaily.
My memory maybe playing tricks on me because I am talking early 1980's
In those days there wasn't such a thing as a yellow back in fact we could only
read about White Breasted in the UK and Sth. Africa.
A couple of years ago I actually visited Fred Barnicoat in Sth. Africa and he told me the early history
and then I was shown the 2 small aviaries where the White Breasted was developed.
If anyone is interested I could dig a photo out
elferoz777

there was some dilutes at the FSA sale at Smithfield.

They did not look like anything in the pics on here....the neck ring was faded and the green was more faded.

I liked them but have no room or time for them atm
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it just me - or - do the birds in Matcho"s pics have a thin black line while none of the other pics do?? Can anyone do a SF YB and a Aussie Dilute pic in the same post so we can see the difference? Cause apart from what they produce I can't rightly see it.
LML
LML
gouldianpaul

finchbreeder wrote:Is it just me - or - do the birds in Matcho"s pics have a thin black line while none of the other pics do?? Can anyone do a SF YB and a Aussie Dilute pic in the same post so we can see the difference? Cause apart from what they produce I can't rightly see it.
LML
HI FB,

The bird in Matcho's post is a single factor EY....the bird in my post is Aussie Dilute....you should be able to see the difference in the coloring through the back..cheers
Paul
Tiaris

To me the most obvious difference is in the throat. Dilutes have a very evenly pale throat whereas SF YB males have greyish to blackish throats.

Like David, my earlier memories of dilutes were of distinctly cream coloured backs with hardly any green tinge noticeable at all, however most dilutes I've seen in the past decade or so have had the diluted green look about them. I realise there is considerable variation in the back colour of dilutes now just as there is with euro YBs but all the dilutes I saw 30-40 years ago were cream-backed.
Craig52

IMO the only true way to decipher between the two mutations is to breed them.SFYB's are sexlinked recessive so colour will be produced straight away and the sex will depend on which parent is the ESF.This mating has to be to a normal green backed bird.
The ADB mutation is autosomal recessive and bred to a normal green backed bird will produce all split for ADB young.
I agree with E Orix and Tiaris regarding the creamy coloured backs on AD but E Orix,the only colour change is the back,wings,tail and under chin but in the black head the head colour is changed to a plum/grey hence their name Australian Dilute Backed over all head colours.
Don Crawfords opinion regarding greener back AD's is breeding WB birds into them which really bucks the trend when in other mutations the WB lightens the back colour,especially in SFEY's where the back in the cock turns canary yellow.
Anyway,i hope that anyone who still has the original ADB mutation keeps them pure to type so that we don't lose them,the problem is new comers to the hobby can't or don't want to read up on mutations and just put two yellow backed birds together to produce the cocktail that are then sold off to pet shops/dealers or other breeders. Cheers Craig
TomDeGraaff

I don't know if this is helpful or otherwise but on the cover of Australian Aviculture January 1973 there is a picture of a "dilute gouldian" taken by a J Teasedale. Inside is an article by Ray Murray on mutations of the Gouldian. He describes his dealings with the dilute-backed but doesn't seem to tie it in with this photo.
Cheers
Tom
SamDavis

Uraeginthus wrote:I don't know if this is helpful or otherwise but on the cover of Australian Aviculture January 1973 there is a picture of a "dilute gouldian" taken by a J Teasedale. Inside is an article by Ray Murray on mutations of the Gouldian. He describes his dealings with the dilute-backed but doesn't seem to tie it in with this photo.
Cheers
Tom
There has been some interest in Aussie Dilutes of late so I would be interested to read the article and maybe reprint in our FSA magazine (and AFF newsletter too), along with some recent photos. Tom, any chance you can scan it in or just take a photos of the pages?
Regards,
Sam

Return to “Gouldian”