What types of live trees and plants in cages/aviaries?

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
nopEda

Hi,

I would like to make some live plants available for zebra finches.
Can anyone suggest some small trees or shrubs, or other type plants
that would be good for them? At the moment I plan to try spinach and
kale for greens, but would like to know what else people might suggest.

Thanks!
David
FINCHIE

Lemon scented tea trees, or any kind of tea tree is good. Native grasses also work well. Watch planting spinach because if they eat too much spinach its not good for them apparently. Maybe plant spinach in a pot plant and just place it in the aviary so you can easily take it out.

Good luck
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if you could fill out your profile so that we know what country you live in it will be much easier to answer the question.

any native australian tree or shrub is safe to have in an aviary, such as bottlebrush, grevillea and tea tree.

a list of good seeding grasses is available at viewtopic.php?f=47&t=45
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Page0044

As Mick said most of the natives are good, i have built a avairy around a large tee tree and the finches love it and grasses your best to search the link , all finches love the seeds of the grasses and use the remander for nesting.

Greg
Cheers
Greg
gomer

When picking something look at its requirements for the size cage its going in.If you put a shrub in thats going to grow 10 metres tall expect to do a bit off pruning.Or your avairy will look like jack and the beanstalk. :D :lol: I currently grow native grasses in mine.They are used for nesting sites,nesting material and food.
PC050906.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Page0044

Hi Gomer, do they need a lot of water to keep them green
Cheers
Greg
gomer

The ones in the photo have only been planted for six months from tube.I have only watered them about 4 times to get them started.They grow alot bigger as they get older.There is a agi drain about one metre in front keeping ground dry.I may add some bamboo in one as a trial after summer.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Page0044

They seem to be doing well Gomer what is the name of them, i will have to look around and see if i can find some.

Greg
Cheers
Greg
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i currently keep various plants in my aviarys. panic grass grows pretty tall i deal for nesting sites and of coarse the fresh green seed that they get from it , barnyard grass provides some nesting material when it drys out. various bottle brushes. some smaller growing agonis or nannas, emu bush of various hights , harbengina or also know as native wysteria, bamboo, and i have afew ficus in pots to keep them under control. but soon a few roses will be planted. helps with the softies but also gives the finches that require more live food with the afids. but remmeber dont put the buggeres in the wrong place can cause a bit of greif when having to catch up birds at a later date ( ouch) trust me...pete
Natboy

I've just got bottlebrush & lemon scented tea tree for my new gouldian aviary but am keen to plant some panic grass. Is it a weed or something you can buy as flower power or bunnings etc?
Thanks very much
Nat

Return to “Types of plants”