species purity question

Includes Species Profile
mr.fox

Hi all. I've been keeping the RFPF for 5-6 years now and like most people have brought in new unrelated birds at times to freshen things up. However, this past year I have produced a few youngsters which show a distinct thin, blue outer margin to the red head colouring on top of the head. I always considered that I had some pretty good, pure birds from multiple sources, including from other AFF members, but now am wondering if there may some Blue faced parrotfinch blood in them way back. The birds in question appear to be typical Redfaced in every way, just with a very faint, blue edging behind the red on top of the head. i might mention this seems to be mostly in the hens.
Anyone care to comment?
Craig52

mr.fox wrote:Hi all. I've been keeping the RFPF for 5-6 years now and like most people have brought in new unrelated birds at times to freshen things up. However, this past year I have produced a few youngsters which show a distinct thin, blue outer margin to the red head colouring on top of the head. I always considered that I had some pretty good, pure birds from multiple sources, including from other AFF members, but now am wondering if there may some Blue faced parrotfinch blood in them way back. The birds in question appear to be typical Redfaced in every way, just with a very faint, blue edging behind the red on top of the head. i might mention this seems to be mostly in the hens.
Anyone care to comment?
No i don't believe it is hybridization with blue face at all.I have seen this in a lot of RFPF's,males and females and imo its where the red meets the green and over lapses to become blue.
I just went and got my grand kids crayons and mixed the red with the green,resulting colour is blue so this phenomenon is most likely the case. Craig
SamDavis

Craig52 wrote:I just went and got my grand kids crayons and mixed the red with the green,resulting colour is blue so this phenomenon is most likely the case. Craig
Warning - don't let Craig and crayons near your finches! :crazy:
But seriously, I think Craig is correct.
Tiaris

Blue-faced x Red-faced PF hybrids have blue inside & red outside. The thin blue edge is an entirely natural feature seen in some birds as per descriptions of wild specimens in various books. Mostly evident in hens but some less vibrant coloured males also show it.
Craig52

SamDavis wrote:
Craig52 wrote:I just went and got my grand kids crayons and mixed the red with the green,resulting colour is blue so this phenomenon is most likely the case. Craig
Warning - don't let Craig and crayons near your finches! :crazy:
But seriously, I think Craig is correct.
:shock: Just about to try purple and yellow to see if it makes red as in the fusion? bar on some gouldians :lol: Craig
mr.fox

Thanks so much guys. I was considering getting rid of them and starting again. They don't match the few hybrid birds that I have seen in photos. Yes, it seems to be on the hens more so than the cocks. I shall persist and see what comes up. :thumbup:

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”