Baby Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
mezcalbean

Hi,

I seem to be have an issue with babies missing - Im talking a few days old - I look see 3, go back and see 1-2. Are the babies dying or something more sinister like mice taking the babies ?

Thanks

Philippe
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of times you will find its not missing just dried up and now part of nesting material...this is just my opinion but I think the parents will sacrfice I or 2 if they feel threatened...and a dead smell in nest may keep predators away...(ie...someone poking around in nest). Others will have other ideas...I dont check nests, if parents are swapping..you know they're sitting...you know roughly when they will hatch..if I don't hear young after a 3 or 4 days of expected hatch date ...I usually wait another 2 or 3 then and only then will I check...but your birds do what you feel is right :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
mezcalbean

Thanks for your reply.

How often should one check the nest?

How do I check the nest if the nest is well shaped with nesting material which makes it hard to see?

I found a baby nearly ready to fly near the outside nest which was dead.

Thanks for your help. If it was mice then it would have been eaten.

Thanks

Philippe
elferoz777

The gouldians must have put a country wide memo out as I know many that have lost young from the nest. At last count I had 11 left from 30 young. Worst season ever
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mezcalbean wrote:Thanks for your reply.

How often should one check the nest?

How do I check the nest if the nest is well shaped with nesting material which makes it hard to see?

I found a baby nearly ready to fly near the outside nest which was dead.

Thanks for your help. If it was mice then it would have been eaten.

Thanks

Philippe
Really what is the point of nest checking? you cant change what they're doing? so wait until you know something amiss.. IE one parent bird missing for day or two...if your there constantly you are bound to see them change places...

If you have to check the nest get a flexible camera.... https://www.chinavasion.com/china/whole ... on_Camera/

Dead Baby, something disturbing parents enough to abandon young? incorrect food or not enough kept up? something wrong with young, parents will abandon young if they know they're sick?

Mice will scare parents and young alike out of nest...and Gouldan hens don't stay in nest box after 10 days, so young may die of cold... :wave:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Davo2

I will try and help but only had gouldians a few years, I have a few individual aviaries that I do not nest check at all and have picked out 6 young that have been tossed and died (first year breeders) they are the only ones I found but they disappear that quick, I would not be surprised if there was more. I have a communal aviary that I do nest check regularly in order to leg band before they fledge for id and only 1 has been tossed thus far. So with gouldians, all up to the birds and their experience I think, not much you can do.
mezcalbean

Thanks for all the replies

Could I have disturb the nest too much and they abandoned their baby.

I have one nest and it must be caught up with a few other parents laying eggs as their is 12 in one box, the problem is they are old eggs yes but someone else is laying another 1 -2 lots of eggs.

When should one dispose of the eggs and replace nesting material? should I shine a light on it ?

I have only being breeding Gouldians for 4 months and only put the boxes in start of Jan - we have 3 babies flying around now from a yellow pair which is good!!

Thanks

Philippe

Return to “Gouldian”