My red (orange) chested and red headed zeb project progress

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Always good to find someone not too far away going down a parallel path to your own, so you can swap and strengthen the bloodlines. Good luck to you both. Like the opaline effect on the head of that bird Norse.
LML
LML
AMCA26

What r ur Black Cheek Black Fronted Zebras. Any photos Steve?
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
elferoz777

You mean black faced?

Ill post a pic.

Basically the white tear mark on the hen goes black. On this particular hen ive noticed the start of faded red cheeks. This hen produces the best young with the most red on the face of her male offspring.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
wagga

3 Red zebras fawn bred this year, 2 months old, Sorry about the photos as I snapped these using a camera phone just before sunset today.

same bird in both photos, red colouring starting to cover over the head and the back.

These are the 2 over siblings. Bird on left shows the red coverage over the back not as dark as the other bird in photos 1 n 2.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The red on them is spreading well. Congratulations. You 3 guys should work together.
LML
LML
elferoz777

This little fellow is a combo of my redest cock bird crossed with a black fronted hen.

Not the best shot but in the aviary you can see this little guy is losing the limited black it has and is developing a red chest and front.

I like the red and how it shows through on the edges of the darker back feathers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The pair of Reds I got in Perth a couple of months ago are doing zilch. So did some enquiring, and have tried a change of nests. Being Zebs i did not expect them to be this fussy. He is singing to her, but no response yet. Glad to hear you are making progress E.
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The hen laid one egg after considerable encouragement from the cock but did not sit. Have since lost her. So put him to a normal fawn hen with a easonable chest bar for a hen (from a blackfronted cock) They laid 4 eggs, fledged 3 chicks. The 2 remaining chicks are a pair. But here I have a question. While the young cock looks like a normal fawn with a rather prononced chest bar. The young hen has slowly developed the cheek patches typical of red hens, and a clean chest. Is this normal? I thought this mutation was recessive? Is the mutation sex linked?
LML
LML
Denozo

The mutation is recessive however I have had male splits with red in the breast bar so guess you could get females with cheek patches
elferoz777

Denozo wrote:The mutation is recessive however I have had male splits with red in the breast bar so guess you could get females with cheek patches

Ditto

FB if you could pop some fotos up id be keen to see how they compare to my young

Return to “Zebra”