My red (orange) chested and red headed zeb project progress

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your parent bird is what I am hoping to achieve. I am only using fawns, are you using grays as well as fawns?
LML
LML
elferoz777

I used fawn and a darker grey red front and also black front. The produce good red fronted birds. Ill find some photos.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Some of the mix.

I culled a few since posting this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
wagga

I like the look of the second parent in the photos. I hope the introduction of the charcoal red fronted blood lines combined with the Isabel fawn will enhance and show off the red better.

It can be frustrating when introducing any new bloodlines into the aviary. I am having a similar problems atm with increasing the size of the zebras. using show standard stock, Lots of nests, no eggs or small clutches with low fertility.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My red cock looks very similar to your bird 3rd from the right, top pic top perch. While the daughter he produced with a normal fawn and then the daughter he produced with his daughter, both look very similar to your birds 5th from the right and 2nd from the left same pic. My red cock is show size, while the fawn hen was just a normal avairy size. Offspring are closer to dad in size than they are to mum. :thumbup:
LML
LML
elferoz777

Here is the brother of the little on in the other fotos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GouldianGuy

I think what is so cool about what you and finchbreeder are doing is that zebs are such prolific breeders, and you can watch the genetic drift of your population in such a short period of time. I know its rather "late" in your project but itd be really cool if you somehow charted your success?

Essentially show what each brood results in and how they slowly become the perfect red zeb :geek:
elferoz777

GouldianGuy wrote:I think what is so cool about what you and finchbreeder are doing is that zebs are such prolific breeders, and you can watch the genetic drift of your population in such a short period of time. I know its rather "late" in your project but itd be really cool if you somehow charted your success?

Essentially show what each brood results in and how they slowly become the perfect red zeb :geek:

Started this and have photos on my phone. I plan on doing a progression when i finally get that full red bird which is not far off.

I picked up 2 dead full red birds off the floor a month ago. Tbey were a week from fledging.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I picked up 2 dead full red birds off the floor a month ago. Tbey were a week from fledging. :thumbdown:
Being a not very technical person. (You will notice I don't post photos even.) :silent: I have an exercise book, I write down who is with who in, then i write what fledges and is rung. And when this happens. So I keep general records. Too lazy to bother writing how many eggs they lay, and anything that does not live to be rung. :eh:
LML
LML
GouldianGuy

finchbreeder wrote:I picked up 2 dead full red birds off the floor a month ago. Tbey were a week from fledging. :thumbdown:
Being a not very technical person. (You will notice I don't post photos even.) :silent: I have an exercise book, I write down who is with who in, then i write what fledges and is rung. And when this happens. So I keep general records. Too lazy to bother writing how many eggs they lay, and anything that does not live to be rung. :eh:
LML
That's what you gotta do! Experiments/projects will be more robust with good record keeping.

Return to “Zebra”