PAIRING BL-RUMP X WH-RUMP

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
arthur

http://www.finchinfo.com/genetics/owl_b ... colors.php

Found this on the American site recently posted on AFF

The claim is that rump colours are transferable characteristics; in other words the two varieties are mutations, rather than sub-species; and that inter-species matings result in 'splits' rather than 'intergrades'

Here in Oz these days, we would probably try to avoid the B x W pairing, for what would seem obvious reasons. But in a less enlightened time the pairing may have been common

My opinion is that if they are mutations, there should be Black-rumps in the Eastern wild flocks and vice versa

Any comments?
Craig52

To me that is typical American ignorance.The BR and WR double bars are divided by regions,West and East. They are different in their regions in body shape and size as well as their call but the latter is very minor.
So the next thing they might say is that BR and WR parsons/diggles are the same birds and we will get splits.They might even say that bb and wb crimsons are the same bird and if you breed them together you get splits,i don't think so.

Would YOU buy any of these birds that have black and white rumps or bellies,not me. Craig
Tiaris

The idea that intergrades showing both black & white rump are "visual splits" is so ludicrous, its laughable. They are just sub-species hybrids. Obviously then mating such sub-species hybrids back to either white or black-rumped is going to show a predisposition to whichever one is used. This is not evidence of a co-dominant mutation expressing itself. Rather just a proportional representation of the greater share contributed by the sub-species contributing 75% of the genes as opposed to the 25% one.
As Craig has said, these and many other sub-species and natural regional variations within natural species display many more physiological and behavioural differences than just their rump pigment.

Return to “Double Bar”