when to remove male.

Includes Species Profile
Nova

My pair of BFPF have just produced 2 fledglings from their 4th lot of eggs since October last year. They are both running around the floor looking like they escaped from The Dark Crystal.

I would like to give the hen a break so at what stage can i remove the cock from the aviary without interfering with the new babies?
Tiaris

If you are going to move the male, I'd do it after the young are 10 days old (after the parents stop brooding them in the nest). The hen should then have little problem feeding them for the remainder of the time required as feeding will be the only job left to do. If there are many other birds in the aviary you need to be extra vigilant in keeping up supply of rearing foods so she doesn't have to compete too hard for enough to do the job.
Craig52

I agree with tiaris but the cock may have already done the deed,so don't be surprised if she goes back down or already is sitting on eggs.When the young are seen to be self sufficient remove them and the cock bird and any eggs that may have been laid imo. Craig
Brooksy

If you want to give the hen a break take the hen out and leave dad to attend to the screaming children :thumbup:
Craig52

Good thinking Brooksy,why didn't i think of that :thumbup: Craig
Nova

Thanks for the advice. My wife especially liked yours Brooksy :clap:

Return to “Blue Faced Parrotfinches”