AY BLUE - SOME BIRDS DEFY STATISTICS

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
gouldianpaul

So you have blues that are displaying these white patches?

Rich.[/quote]

Yes mate they sure do...cheers, Paul
gouldianpaul

Hi All,

I thought I'd share an update on the offspring of my AY Blue hen that was paired to a Blue/AY cock in 2015. I had originally thought that the 3 AY's produced were AY/Blue as the patches on their backs were brown....not grey. However all 3 of these birds have almost fully colored up and are all AY Blue. So in contrast to many breeders it appears my AY Blues are not showing any grey on their backs when they first fledge, however as they color up the blue wash comes through their wings as expected for an AY Blue.

So it appears I was harsh on my AY Blue hen not producing many blues or AY Blues. The 6 young in 2015 produced 3 AY Blues, 1 Blue/AY and 2 normal/AY Blue.

As all this years AY Blues were produced from color x color mating I will ensure they are crossed back to unrelated Normal/AY Blue's. I will most likely pair up my original AY Blue hen to different Blue/AY cock bird again in 2016 to see what she produces.

The strength and vitality of the 3 AY Blues produced form the Blue/AY x AY Blue pairing supports my theory that the AY will actually strengthen the blue allowing colored birds to be paired together.

Cheers
Paul

Return to “Mutation Finches”