Fancy Pigeon Keeping in Qld

GregH

I'll probably not win any friends at the next biosecurity meeting in Brisbane but are all domestic pigeons (Columba livia) usually given free flight time? It is proposed that all aviary birds be excluded from the definition of designated animal under the act but that high risk species remain and this would include domestic pigeons and ornamental poultry. I suppose I should be happy to let them do their own advocacy but they too have been excluded from the process until now. I maintain it's not the species that makes them a biosecurity hazard but they way they are kept. Avian diseases seldom evolve de novo, but enter captive populations though their exposure to infected birds. If captive birds are quarantined and aren't exposed to wild birds (i.e. kept in aviaries that no only contain them but exclude the entry of smaller birds) then it's unlikely that they will be exposed to significant disease risk. What do other AFF members think?
SamDavis

As you know Greg, I was held up and unable to participate in the last QDAF Biosecurity meeting. I'm somewhat dismayed that hobbyist pigeons and poultry entered discussions at that meeting. I am strongly of the view that the only birds that should be "designated animals" under the Qld Biosecurity Act are those specifically raised by commercial operations for human consumption including consumption of eggs. The purpose of the code of practice is to address possible Biosecurity events for all other cases.
GregH

I wasn't dismayed that those groups were brought up at the meeting. I was dismayed at the NIMBY attitude of those present - happy to talk about their area of interest but not wanting to even notice that certain group were being legislated against without even knowing if they were even aware of the process. I do think racing pigeons are a much higher risk than aviary birds but surely fancy pigeons that are not given free-flight represent no greater threat than exhibition zebra finches. I don't want to be their advocate but every group affected should be aware of what is going on. I've put this to Pat Bell and he agrees.

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”