Ready to lay again

Redwing

Not sure what's happening with my female Canary, as she has chicks in the nest that will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and she's refurbishing the nest ready to lay again. Realise I can't do anything to stop her but just curious if others have seen this before?
garyh

To my mind it's early in the season for canaries,but my mums birds have be going nuts lately with a lot of birds sitting on eggs already ,garyh
Canary

If you are able to, take the cock out until the chicks are 23 days old, and ready to be separated from the parents.

Otherwise, I would be putting another nest in with plenty of nesting material, so the hen doesn't pluck the chicks, and see if she starts building another nest. The cock should continue to feed the chicks.
Redwing

Thanks Canary, really have nowhere to put the cock apart from my finch aviary so will put another nest in for her. Actually have 2 males in with her as I had an old male and decided to see how they would go leaving them all together, ready to pull out the old boy if there were any problems. There's been plenty of singing but no sign of aggression. The old boy spends most of the day on a branch near the nest, but even though he was a fantastic parent when he was younger hasn' made any attempt to feed the hen or the young. If she starts another nest will be interesting t o see if he takes any part in feeding or leaves it to the father.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mum's and mine are singing like crazy up here, but no eggs yet. Your well protected but warm spot is ideal Redwing. :thumbup:
LML
LML

Return to “Canaries”