Keeping Gouldians in Perth

Includes Species Profile.
WILLYMEL

HI im in kalgoorlie and it get cold here and wind i cover my av with clear plastic when cold come and take off now or soon this yr i have lost babies when then are 10 days old up because the birds not sitting on then and we get cold nights (3dg) but breeding well.then not make much of a nest i ues the L box and some like budgie box i put coconut fiber in and litt bit of swap grass on top and cup it with my hand to start then off if you so help you can call me on 0429010290 i not no all but can help :thumbup:
Arcturus

thanks for the advice guys :thumbup:
werty wrote:In winter I expose my goulds to wind in the front of the aviary, the back is enclosed if they want shelter
Thanks for the pic werty...I see you have the top of your aviary fully covered...I might do a similar thing with mine and leave a small open area
WILLYMEL wrote:i cover my av with clear plastic when cold come and take off now or soon this yr i have lost babies when then are 10 days old up because the birds not sitting on then and we get cold nights (3dg)
Ouch 3 deg is cold....I think a cover of plastic from Jun - Aug would work well for me
Arcturus

Nova wrote:My second aviary is a rectangle with the small ends facing north and south and the back of the aviary faces to the east and is a solid wall. So about the worst aspect you can have.
Mine will be similar
Nova wrote:Over winter i placed clear cafe blinds from Bunnings at each end. I also covered half of the west facing side (front) with shade cloth.
This stopped the aviary from becoming a wind tunnel whilst still allowing as much fresh air and sunlight as possible.
Ah good idea. Do you have the blinds permanently attached to the aviary frame?
Nova wrote:My pair of gouldians are working on their second lot of offspring so are happy enough.
Still winter has been pretty mild this year, especially in Baldivis.
Yeah except for the winter storms I think the weather in Perth should be fine for Gouldians. For most of the year the challenge will be to cool the aviary....can't believe the forecast is for 30 C on Wednesday :wtf:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have mine under a huge lilac tree. Can't grow trees fast, but. Where the tree had to be pruned down I have a shade sail about 35cms above the avairy to provide shade and let the breeze still blow through. This is tied on poles so it can be taken down if required. Also the avairy has auto water so the drinkers are flushed twice daily in summer without fail.
LML
LML
Nova

Its the first year i have used blinds so i intend on just rolling them up and see how it goes rather than pulling them down completely and finding a place to store them.
Blue Cuban

werty wrote: My gouldians thrive in heat

The hotter the better

On days over 35 they are singing away

As long as they have open wire and air flowing all around them they will love hot summer days

In winter I expose my goulds to wind in the front of the aviary, the back is enclosed if they want shelter
Werty,

Your aviary is pretty far from receiving direct sunlight all the time, that big metal thing that stands above your aviary is called a roof and blocks sun light very useful on 35deg days..... :crazy:

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
werty

Blue Cuban wrote:
werty wrote: My gouldians thrive in heat

The hotter the better

On days over 35 they are singing away

As long as they have open wire and air flowing all around them they will love hot summer days

In winter I expose my goulds to wind in the front of the aviary, the back is enclosed if they want shelter
Werty,

Your aviary is pretty far from receiving direct sunlight all the time, that big metal thing that stands above your aviary is called a roof and blocks sun light very useful on 35deg days..... :crazy:

Rich.
Nope....looking at the goulds right now

All goulds lit up like globes on the sun

Roof doesn't stop the sun hitting the perches all day
werty

Ok rich

Update...4hrs later

Birds still being hit with direct sunlight

This is why I call my front section. ...the sun room
werty

Rich...update

2.30 pm

Perches located at front of sun room no longer have direct light

However all perches in sum room located near original aviary roof are all covered in direct sunlight

So you see...my sun room does have direct sunlight all day

So much for that roof stopping the sun hitting all the perches :lol:
E Orix

Werty
I hear what you are saying but remember Sydney's climate is a lot more humid and milder that Perth or even where I live.
With your aviary situated under an awning it gets plenty of sunshine but also protection from the sun.
If I had your aviary(without the awning) then I doubt if one bird would survive our summer, it would be just like an oven.
Keeping Gouldians is not just sunshine and warmth, it is protection from cool/cold air movement.
My Gouldians do quite well in open planted aviaries but they also have areas where they can get where the air is still same temp
but no air movement. Frequently my Gouldians and other birds need the water containers to be cleared of ice so they can bath.
The climate where they originated can get very cold at night but no wind.

Return to “Gouldian”