Breeding two different head colours

Includes Species Profile.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52 wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:Sarah's work that the stress hormone, corticosterone, plays some part in this.....so the weather would contribute to that theory also...(regarding stress etc)
I think you have hit the nail on the head VP Weather would have a huge contribution to stress whether just right or too hot or too cold as well as rainfall including all that Bret has said.
The reason i agree with you is that when my crimsons breed they start in our Winter,bloody cold for a Northern tropical bird but they produce 90% cocks during this time. Early Spring to Summer the young produced are 50/50 male and female. Late bred young into Summer are 90% hens.
Sorry to talk about crimsons, just using them as an example for sex ratios and stress/weather. Craig
I totally agree Craig....as I think most birds are weather wise...and when its dry or harsh conditions cocks are produced because they are tougher birds in most of the cases and it all goes back to only the strongest survive.... well thats my thoughts and experience so far... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
matcho

I have just been trying to read this complete post. I find myself really flustered because I see studies from those who observe wild birds and those who do studies by breeding "wild" birds in captivity with implants etc. In all reality how can anything be "right?"

In regards to the original post "Breeding two different head colours".

I am just happy to breed, I do not have the luxury of breeding single pairs. I have RH, BH, YH with different beak colours. I let them make their own choices.

To me 50/50 seems about right this year.

Ken.
Finnigan

[quote="BrettB"]Steady on guys, lets not get too heated.
Leaving aside the opening post and the video, which seem to contain some misinterpretation of the paper written.

I feel like I did something wrong... have seen something else on the net "can't fine it YET, but i will" that said all the females would die. thats why I said they contradict each other. I join this site to learn how to look after my birds. did'nt expect to be belittled for asking a SIMPLE QUESTION. I have only had the gouldians for under a year. If you people want others to be intrested in your hobby you might have to lower your Superior Intellect. { insert bird emoji }
Finnigan

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All very interesting. As it was back in 2009, I wonder if there is anything more up to date out there? And like the people posting back in 2009, I wonder how the birds know what head colour they are? And while it is true that OH = OH it is still a dilute form of RH so how do we know if this does or does not effect the results when OH were not used by Dr P.? More questions than answers from where I am sitting. But the weather point make sence.
LML
LML
werty

Craig52 wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:Sarah's work that the stress hormone, corticosterone, plays some part in this.....so the weather would contribute to that theory also...(regarding stress etc)
I think you have hit the nail on the head VP Weather would have a huge contribution to stress whether just right or too hot or too cold as well as rainfall including all that Bret has said.
The reason i agree with you is that when my crimsons breed they start in our Winter,bloody cold for a Northern tropical bird but they produce 90% cocks during this time. Early Spring to Summer the young produced are 50/50 male and female. Late bred young into Summer are 90% hens.
Sorry to talk about crimsons, just using them as an example for sex ratios and stress/weather. Craig
I think is spot on

ran into a bloke that was only producing males, asked him few questions, turned out his birds were living under stressful conditions

I bred different head colours together this year, chicks are 50/50, maybe the head colour thing was true when Gouldian's were first bred

Return to “Gouldian”