Hints for fostering spinifex and squatter pigeons

jonno0383

Hi all, having trouble with a pair each of our spinifex and squatters not settling down to sit on their eggs and I am curious to try the Barbary dove fostering method.
Has anyone tried this method and if so what hints are there for a newbie? :notsure:
THanks
Tintola

You first need to try and get them to incubate their own eggs. My Squatters would not sit full term until I added cover in the form of alive or dead, clumps of grass in the corner where I wanted them to nest. Now they incubate their own. Fostering is fraught with problems in timing and the early mobility of the young of both species.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jonno0383

cheers Tintola.
I've read similar issues elsewhere as well in regards to fostering. I keep mine in large planted aviaries with large logs in the corners palm grasses and Johnson grass so they have plenty of cover.
They just haven't settled on somewhere yet and I don't want to let these eggs go to waste. one pair of red bellieds are sitting but the white bellieds are umming and ahhing over 3 different spots and the squatters believe the doorway is the best spot. Hoping they settle down and raise for themselves but until then it's looking like hand raising. I did leave the eggs for about 8 days in the hope they would sit before removing. :|
Tintola

My squatters used to nest under the door as well. Do you have any Barbary doves to foster them under or any other reliable species?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jonno0383

Not at present. I'm just exploring that avenue for now, worse case I can hand rear but I'm not fond of that as I prefer to parent rear where possible and avoid imprinting. it looks like the squatters are now checking out behind a log so here's hoping :) another option I'm thinking of trying is large half flower pots placed in the more open areas to see if they will use those instead

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”