Size?

Includes Species Profile.
matcho

I have bred goulds for a few years and have always seen them to be one of the larger finches as compared to starts,painted etc, etc. I have a bit of an issue. I have one of this years brood who is much smaller than all of her brother and sisters. She is just star size, and comes face to face with me every time I do the feed and just go down for a look. I can walk from end to the other and she follows me, she is just moulting,and she is so tiny as compared to the others. I poke my finger through the wire and she nibbles it. She loves me. What is going on? Has anyone had similar? I could understand hand raised but this leaves me flummoxed.

Given her size would you keep her? I know I will but could it weaken my stock if I do meaning smaller birds?

Ken.
escapin

Hi Ken

I had the same with a zebra, only it wasnt small. It was fat and clumsy. Seemed like it had an extra chromozone or something.

Lasted about 4-5 months and then found it dead. I kept it as I wanted it to have a good life, not stuck in a pet shop waiting for someone to choose it.
matcho

Escapin,

Understand what you are saying but this bird is in perfect health, only small/tiny compared to the others.

It gets the best of the best in diet, greens, sprouted/chitted/soaked seed daily. What more can it want?

Ken.
Craig52

Bit of a hard one Ken, most breed for size and quality. IF you breed small birds from her they would be very hard to sell as you would get the comments of inbred, no new blood etc etc.
If she is so in love with you bring it inside and treat it like a pet, i reckon that would be great :thumbup: Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or you could test breed her one season and see if her size is an issue. If not no problem. If so one round for the pet/pretty birds in an avairy/starters market. Quality, colour and vigor are more important that size.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”