Qld type Star Finch?? photos

Includes Species Profile.
wagga

A couple of years ago I noticed some of the local finch breeders had some very dull Star Finches amongst their brightly coloured (WA type Stars) birds. I purchased a couple of these dull hens and paired them up with the 'normal' red stars finches. These birds were use to having termites as a live food, I feed maggots / meal worms, so my breeding effort were average at best. I persisted over the next two seasons breeding these 'dull' coloured birds. Surprisingly the birds mainly bred hens, 90%, or so I thought. Over the last 6 months a number of very experienced finch breeders have looked at these 'dull' stars finches in my aviaries and most asked if they are QLD Star finches. What do you think?
left to right Qld type cock, Qld type hen, Normal cock

Qld type Cock
Qld type Cock
Qld type hen
Qld type hen
Normal cock
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
iaos

Danny Brown had some ex-zoo stock. He might be able to offer more insight.
Craig52

I saw some pics of some FN Qld stars amongst other finches on another site a few days ago and commented how dull in plumage to the WA stars they are. This person came back telling me that i was right but they are not the Southern variety of the Qld star that have virtually disappeared.
The Southern Qld star is a olive/blue grey bodied bird with a creamy white/yellow belly and very little red on the face,especially the hens.
I think you have a mid way between the two Al. Cheers Craig
wagga

Thanks guys for your advice.

Some of the hens have no red at all on the face and the cocks have a missing patch of red feathers behind the eyes, refer to previous photos. It is the colour of their plumage across the back and wings that I will have to replicate/line breed. I now have enough pairs, 5 pr + 2 pr in reserve in my holding cage, to enable me to heavily cull this years young ones who are not true to type. Lets hope that this year is going to be a good season.

Does anyone know of, apart from Danny B, anybody else who is trying to breed these type of stars? Might be able to exchange blood lines?
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.

Return to “Star”