Strange Gouldian Coloring

Includes Species Profile.
Rox

The pair were put together late 2014 and then had 3 big clutches this year - 5, 6 and 5 chicks respectively. This is the only odd colored one that popped out and it was the first breeding season for the parents. Both are now hitting 2yrs old.

I'm really hoping that it stays this way. Not that I am into breeding mutations (I only have normal gouldians) but I just think it's pretty cool. I found out today that there is another breeder who has a yellow youngster with similar feather patterns (he does breed blues/silvers etc). He is also patiently waiting to see how it molts out. Would be awesome if between the 2 of us, we could get a pair of these going :thumbup:
Craig52

I do agree Rox, but i can't understand why it has a black bib and the black between the bill and eye which is similar to some Australian finches and parrot finches. One other point is why it has a white belly but time will tell i suppose.
Also i have read some where that in some young birds when they are at the stage of growing feathers there is a switch off start again in the feather growth that leaves a pattern similar to yearly tree rings to seasons and it is metabolic? or liver problem. I hope this is not the case. Craig :?
monotwine

Like stress bars Craig?
Roxanne also mentioned to me that it could be such, but no matter how we speculate what it could be, the only answer for sure is - wait and see.
LOL something to keep us all looking forward to our birds moulting out each season.
Monique
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When this occurs in budgies Craig, my mother who is a long term show budgie breeder calls them "Normalines" they look like opalines, but revert to normal with first moult. Time will tell, as even in budgies some chicks can still be normal while some are not. By the way Rox are the parents on their own or with other pairs?
LML
LML
Rox

The parents were in with a yellow pair of goulds but the SF yellow male is quite old now (about 6yrs, possibly older) and his mate (only 3yrs old) kept laying clear eggs. So I doubt he could have been involved but it's definitely possible.

Craig, I didn't even notice the black bib or black bar between the bill and eye until you pointed it out. It is rather odd, isn't it. As soon as there is some action with the molt, I will post more pic's :)
Finchy

Hi Roxanne

How are these youngsters coming along? Nearly through their moult? How are they looking?

:)
glensbirds

how is it looking its what you would call a spangle in the budgie world
Rox

Well it was interesting while it lasted. Looks like he is going normal green, purple breast :crazy:

What is now interesting, is the two lilac-breasted hens that have colored up from the same parents. I didn't even know they had LB in their lines!

Shame, they all look like train wrecks at the moment. Almost done with their molt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Gouldian”