guinea fowl and geese

gomer

I have some guinea fowl eggs in the incubator and geese coming in January. I have some knowledge in fowl, but was wondering if these would be ok in a pen directly behind the aviary bank.They will be free range during the day but hopfully penned at night to protect them from foxes. Would they be disruptive at night ? Any experience advice with these birds apriciated.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Never kept either but have always considered Guinea Fowl to be very noisy.
Craig52

Tend to agree with Tiaris, Derek do you remember the Guinea fowl at the oval at the finch count, they arrived at day break and you could hear them coming from half a km away. Very noisy but the wild finches were used to them. Good luck. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many years ago my parents had geese penned against the back of the avairys, did not seem to bother the budgies or weerios. Only experience I have of this.
LML
LML
VR1Ton

Guinea Fowl are noisy, but great watch dogs, mine tell me when there is a snake, goanna, cats etc in the yard, even at 5 in the morning, also go off if there is a hawk etc on the aviary. Mine is free range 24/7, but if you like to sleep in, I'd pen them up as far from the house as possible
gomer

Craig never did the oval. My friend I get the eggs of told me they sit tight on the roost at night. Where they will free range during the day is far away from the aviary.I am hoping they will keep the mice,rats at bay. And deter the snakes and hawks.I may try a temporary night house at the back of the aviary and see how it goes.

Pete are yours pinioned or have the tendon done ? or all natural. If all natural are they a problem this way ? getting on everything like trees and aviaries etc..
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
VR1Ton

No clipping here, he's pretty good, he'll find his spot & won't move all night unless there is a cat etc. Tends to use the same spot for a couple of weeks, then move to the next one, mostly gets in the orange tree with the chooks

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”