Silver-Marked-White type Zebra mutation - how was this made?

Includes Species Profile.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

arthur wrote:
Craig52 wrote: Birds can inbreed for many generations and an example of this are sparrows,starlings,greenfinches, goldfinches,indian minors and the list goes on . . (with) . . very little mutations of any of them.
I'm off- topic again . .

But it is not inbreeding that causes mutations to appear

This is a commonly held misconception . . and one of the reasons for some to regard mutation breeders as second-class citizens of 'Birdland'

If a flock, no matter what its size, does not carry mutant genes for a particular trait, in any bird, then you can inbreed until your nose bleeds, and no mutations expressing that trait will be forthcoming

BUT . .

If a flock carries mutant genes for the same characteristic, but in different birds, then inbreeding makes it more likely that two matching genes will eventually occur in the same bird, and a mutation will 'turn up'
Exactly ...hence why I suggested putting it back to mother....then as FB suggested young of them to a good quality normal....otherwise should the worst happen (mutation dies/escapes whatever) atleast you have multiple birds to work with.... :wave: :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Sorry Arthur, i got a little of track. I've got mutations on the brain after what i posted. The main object of what i meant was that inbreeding in birds does not mean that they will produce spastics from one mating to keep that Mutation viable to out cross to good quality normal birds to get Guaranteed splits,pending what mutation it is (sexlinked recessive, Autosomal recessive,dominant).
I know a mutation does not appear out of thin air and that the two birds need to present and match the genes required to produce that mutation in their young.
Regards Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

VB got it completely. Inbreed first in case the worst should happen and you lose your only example of the mutation.
And human genetic reseach shows that the mild inbreeding of nearby English villages in the days of the Black Death produced the survivers of that deadly disease. And the descendants of those people are those currently most resistant to AIDS Yes inbreeding will multiply what is there. But genes are indiscriminate. They multiply good and bad alike. Disease resistance and spasticity. In all species.
LML
LML
Craig52

Watched the chase tonight, did you know Queen Elizabeth is married to Prince Philip who is her 3rd cousin, evidently all royals are inbred :D

Sorry to be off topic. Craig
Finchy

Sheffield Uni Zebra Finch study: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/inbr ... h-1.182825

Damaging effect of inbreeding in birds vastly underestimated
...scientists across the world have grossly underestimated the damaging impact inbreeding is having on birds. ... inbreeding – when closely related individuals mate – led to up to 75 per cent of embryos dying; much more than previously thought. ....

Anyway, I'll pair my little guy with a known-unrelated Normal hen ... even though my suspicion and finchbreeder's suggestion that blackfront genes might be involved is still bugging me! I'll decide in the next day or three.

Thanks finch peeps.

:)
arthur

Craig52 wrote: evidently all royals are inbred :D
Hasn't affected their longevity . .

But . . there may have been the occasional outcross from time to time :o :silent:
Tiaris

And the most recent outcrosses have been outstanding quality specimens to highlight my point.
garyh

going back over your posts and you talked about your observations on the iq of the blue goulds that you had,i presume these where purchased,i have not observed this in my stock or any other breeders birds that i know on this forum,in saying that there was a guy in far NSW that tried breeding blues,he line breeds,his birds are big , i and others found these birds useless ,sat on a perch and didn't move and only moved to eat and drink,he sold off all his stock and went back to breeding normal's,a good thing i think ,sorry to be off topic ,garyh
matcho

Hey guys and girls,

What a great post to read, original was "how was it made?" about a zeb. Now we have gone into interbreeding, royal families , gouldians etc, etc. Come on, Finchy, post a photo of the bird you refer (your bird) not something similar which you have found off the web. Stop making excuses about travelling/photos. Maybe someone can give you advice as to what the mutation is called when you show the photo. As to what you do in regards to breeding as in "flock"' you already may have a product of "mother to son" and you don't know it.

Photo please

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As to what you do in regards to breeding as in "flock"' you already may have a product of "mother to son" and you don't know it.
Hence my earlier unanswered questions. How many Zebs originally put in avairy? How many now in there? How long in there?
LML
LML

Return to “Zebra”