Sexing

Includes Species Profile
iwtand

Hi all I have 2 diamonds one red and the other a yellow. Any ideas as to sex? Thanks.one is definitely a hen as eggs have been laid but did not hatch
http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/iwtan ... t=3&page=1
Shark

The Red one looks like the cock bird. He has a dark Crimson beak. The Yellow has a light colored beak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
Shark

also watch your diamonds to see who dances (displays) Only the males do this.
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
iwtand

Hi shark thanks for the reply, I have seen the red doing a sort of a jig and seen the yellow squat down and shake its tail is this a hen thing?
Tiaris

I've found that males kept in good conditions very regularly crow (sing). Plus the darker bill, eye ring & paler grey/white on head.
BlackCobra

If you say the hen was wanting to mate & the male is doing a little dance, then I think its a pair, I have had infertile eggs first time around many times over the years, there just practicing at the moment, some get it right & others will get the hang of it over time, practice make perfect lol, I have seen my sons peachfaces, masks, fichers, trying to mate its so funny at times, I never expect to get babies first nest around, so if I do get some im damn happy, with some birds, first they have to be a pair, then compatible, then mate ok, then raise the young, there is lots of things to go wrong first nest, like a nest of red face parrot finches I had a couple of weeks ago, first it was a full nest of babies then next thing I know there was one baby, then there was none, this is more likely on the first nest.
My other son also has peachfaces, masks, fichers, some of his pairs were useless at the start, one pair let 2 nests die, the next nest 1 baby survives, & next nest was 4, so practice does make perfect lol.
Just keep an eye on your birds to really make sure there a pair & then give them time to practice, hopefully they will be a great breeding pair soon.
iwtand

Thanks all for the replies

Return to “Diamond Firetail”