Pied Cordons

Includes Species Profile
AMCA26

Excited finally with these Pied Cordons I got from Outback NSWs in the middle of the year. Finally have young that they have not thrown out. But must admit this pair is its second go compaired to the other pair. Young look as thou they are to fledge next weekend. More joy with venturing out into other Finches rather than Gouldians.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AMCA26 wrote:Excited finally with these Pied Cordons I got from Outback NSWs in the middle of the year. Finally have young that they have not thrown out. But must admit this pair is its second go compaired to the other pair. Young look as thou they are to fledge next weekend. More joy with venturing out into other Finches rather than Gouldians.
Good for you...have a mate trying to breed pied Cordons but keep tossing young or letting them die...what livefood are you feeding? :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

I had a go with them too a few years ago, nest after nest of young tossed no matter what i fed them.I did hear of breeders swapping their eggs with normals which was the only way to get a few on the perch. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck, persistance pays off sometimes.
LML
LML
AMCA26

Well with the hot weather we are having 3 Pied Cordons fledged yesterday, I did not have a good look as after tea it was still very warm so filled water fed maggots and left. No signs of Pied on tem so guessing that will come on the moult.
Vettepilot, I feed maggots and its only after I get home from work in the afternoons. But I am heavy handed when feeding stuff out like this so there would be plenty for them in the morning and usually none by the time I get home.
Craig52

AMCA26 wrote:Well with the hot weather we are having 3 Pied Cordons fledged yesterday, I did not have a good look as after tea it was still very warm so filled water fed maggots and left. No signs of Pied on tem so guessing that will come on the moult.
Vettepilot, I feed maggots and its only after I get home from work in the afternoons. But I am heavy handed when feeding stuff out like this so there would be plenty for them in the morning and usually none by the time I get home.
Mark if that is the case then you will have to feed a lot more than you are, they have to have them constantly otherwise they will chuck the young when there is none to feed. Craig
Cmendi00

Hi,

Are you Pied Cordons progressive pieds? No pied out of the nest until they begin to molt.

Carlos
AMCA26

Ok the Craig sounds good. :thumbup:
Carlos, my first time with them but lost one with the heat yesterday here but it definitely had no Pied markings and the other 2 don't seem to have either. Will keep u posted Carlos.
Tiaris

Young pied Cordons often have pale toenails (usually some pale & some normal). May be worth checking if you get a close look. This is what we started selecting for in the early eighties in normal birds to mate together to produce light pieds. Definitely is an indicator.
$bill

When I had them I had grizzle and set pieds. One you knew immediately the colour outcome and the other coloured up over time. Very hard to beat temites as a live food providing you can get .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”