Long tails drinking at waterhole pine creek NT video

Yellow Billed and Red Billed (Hecks)
Includes Species Profiles
$bill

I spent 3 days on our way through and 3 days again on our way out off pine creek nt and it was a pretty good place to site birds. quite a few hooded parrots were about plus other parrots too.
the longtails were about in the loco park in the trio of boab trees but very hard to photograph. the best spot was 7kl out of town in this partly dried out creek bed where I first sighted and videod the gouldians.
over 3 days I put in about 2 hours a day waiting in a part hide and this pair in the video below never failed to show up once or twice daily. what I did note the longtails around pine creek were nicely buffed birds compared to their scrawny jabiru relations.
the jabiri finches bloods and longtails especially appeared to me that had lead a very hard life but compared to the dried out land at pine creek -their living conditions appeared extremely good.so it appears the harder the life the better the bird or to me anyway.
looking at this beautiful pair of finches having their daily drink/bath I don't think any keen breeder would knock them back. some-times they would be in and out in 30 seconds other times a couple minutes. rarely or never landed next to the pool of water always a good 10 metres back and worked their way towards it.
I'd say watching them daily was one of the high-lites of the trip and something I was lucky enough to record forever. i'd put the gouldian sighting ahead only because it only happened once on the entire trip.......just a 30 to 45 second fly in drink and gone and never saw them again over the next 3 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0GAUZ_ ... detailpage

Return to “Long Tailed”