Philippine Expat

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
GregH

Well I'm spreading Austrialian aviculture further north than usual to central Luzon in the Philippines where I currently work. I keep mainly Australian finches (Normal zebs, double bars, hecks, stars, red-faced Gouldians, then cut-throats, local munias - Java's, spice, white-bellied and chestnut) and diamond doves. I also have a pair of local colasissi parrots (Loriculus philippinesnsis). There's not much else available here but I have seen in past, diamond sparrows, masked, Indian siverbills, linnets and canaries. The latter are woth about $600 a pair so I'm not going down that path. There are four local parrot finches in the Philippines but they are now so rare that they are never available - even illegally and there is a lot of that here. The Philippines is still able to import birds and I'm trying to get a local importer to bring in some red-faced parrot-finches from Australia. If you want to read more about the local scene I have more posts on <http://www.finchme.com/>.
Last edited by GregH on 19 Mar 2009, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.
Page0044

Hi Greg,
Welcome to AAF, you have a nice collection of finches and you will have to send us some pics of the birds from over there.

Cheers
Greg
Cheers
Greg
Steven

Hey Greg welcome to AFF nice finches you have there
gomer

Gday Greg,welcome aboard.nice red eared parroty.Is that one of yours ?
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
GregH

Thanks for the welcome. I'd love to attach some photos but I haven't quite worked that out yet. The red-eared parrot finch was my attempt but I couldn't do it so I may need a tutorial. I actually want it to be my avitar. Unfortunately the bird at that address not my bird - in fact it is progeny of birds exported in 1996 to Europe. The last place I know that had them here in the Philippines was Avalon Zoo but they were lost to "ants" last year after only a few months in capitivity. I suspect the ants got them after they died since the zoo doesn't know much about keeping such fragile wild-caught birds. In 2004 Avalon had 125 green-faced parrot finches but they all died within 12 months. Many were lost to snakes and it's essential to have 6mm mesh or less because of snakes - especially the red-tailed rat snake.
Last edited by GregH on 19 Mar 2009, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi & welcome to the forum
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Steven

Hey GregH Please read this post viewtopic.php?f=61&t=53 it will tell you how to upload pictures to the forum

Also if you need some help getting your avatar up just send me the picture that you want and I will resize and upload it for you

Return to “Introduce Yourself”