What The!! GRRRRR

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi can somebody please explain how did I get light coloured babies showing white flight feathers out of a BHPBGB cock and a BHPBGB hen? please explain to me with a link if possible so I can check genetic forecastor... Thanks :wtf: :evil:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So here is a couple of pics of said young.... :lolno:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finchy

Almost certainly Australian Yellow, unfortunately. It's recessive, and one of its clues is white flight feathers: http://www.finchstuff.com/GouldianFinch ... tions.aspx

It seems that adults usually, but perhaps not always, show some white under their chins when they carry this recessive gene. Do yours?

AY is a pain. I try to avoid it in my flock as it's a scruffy colour, though others love it. I find European Yellow (pastel) much nicer to work with because it's sex-linked dominant and produces clean colouration.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A picture of the parents may be more to the point. Could dad possibly be a single factor euro yellow? and these daughters? Aussie yellows are much more interesting than euro yellows due to variations, and are in reality a form of pied. The problem is that lots of birds have both genes due to people not understanding they are different when they first get finches and crossing them. So there is even the possibility of one parent of each type in your BH
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Finchy.... well as far as I can tell no white feathers on parents... so looks like some culling will happen then.. :thumbdown: is there a forecastor with this mutation in its make up?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:A picture of the parents may be more to the point. Could dad possibly be a single factor euro yellow? and these daughters? Aussie yellows are much more interesting than euro yellows due to variations, and are in reality a form of pied. The problem is that lots of birds have both genes due to people not understanding they are different when they first get finches and crossing them. So there is even the possibility of one parent of each type in your BH
LML
Finchbreeder as far as I am aware...all original birds have come from "reliable" normal gouldians...these are offspring of such...there are no light coloured birds and none that I'm aware showing white feathers or charcoal chin etc....But I will get a pic of parents :thumbup:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here are pics of parents...remember though camera shows them slightly lighter then normal.... :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finchy

vp, if it is AY hiding in there you won't really need a forecaster, because it's classic recessive. The statistical probability will be the same for both sexes as follows:

25% Normal
25% AY
50% appear Normal but carry AY
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finchy wrote:vp, if it is AY hiding in there you won't really need a forecaster, because it's classic recessive. The statistical probability will be the same for both sexes as follows:

25% Normal
25% AY
50% appear Normal but carry AY
So basically get rid of parents and all progeny... :lolno: :evil:
POLAR GOULDIANS

Hi VP,

One of your photos shows more than 2 birds in the aviary?
Is there any chance of these being fathered by another male?
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Mutation Finches”