Quail brooder

Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since my king quails seem unable to keep their young alive, usually because of overly hot or cold weather coinciding with hatching, I was thinking about constructing a brooder to raise them in.

Can I remove the hatchlings from the parents straight away? From what I've read, they can feed themselves immediately, but I'd rather hear it from someone with experience than an anonymous internet article.

Secondly, does anyone have any construction tips for a brooder? I'm also curious as to what heat lamp would be appropriate and from whom I can buy one.

Thanks for your input.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to hatch them in an incubator...left them in there for 24hrs..then they went into a fishtank with turkey starter on base and water in jar caps with marbles....had a light over the top if they needed warmth at one end... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many years ago. When my parents had quail in large parrott avairys, they used raising boxs. These were about 60cm x 60cm x 15cm. They had no bottom and wire tops with wood sides. You just put them over mum and the young and the nest as soon as the first chick appeared. Add water and food in a couple of small dishes, and it seemed to work. And you don;t have to break up the family.
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

they went into a fishtank
That's a good idea, actually. Do you recall what kind of light was used?
They had no bottom and wire tops with wood sides. You just put them over mum and the young
Another good idea, although it might not be enough to deal with the temperature issue. I also have multiple hens to each cock, so it's hard to tell which one is mum.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a 40watt light globe..they could move close or away...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
gomer

I have never hand raised king quail.I have however raised other larger quail.Just to add to what been already mentioned make sure the floor surface is not slippery otherwise you may have quail with splayed legs in the first few days of hatching.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”