New name for Gouldian

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Tiaris

Naming a mutation is far from a formal process. It is entirely at the whim of who breeds them & how they wish to offer them for sale. Taxonomy itself is a very whimsical "science" which seemingly changes labels and "known genetic affinities" far too often to be given very much credibility IMO. Common names of species are even more haphazard, and further down the scale again you have mutation names. The confusion with descriptive terms for them & their associated origins & modes or inheritance is often too mind-boggling for many to get their heads around.
A mutation name is simply the marketing term which sticks in the bird market.
Craig52

I agree Tiaris, a little of track but when i was probably the first to breed the so called Fawn painted firetail the name of dilute back came to mind.
This was due to the mutation retaining the black front,not chocolate brown due to a fawn mutation,so as not to confuse this "major" observation by me the name fawn painted stuck for easy recognition.I know this is a single mutation and not a double mutation but really, we have to call it what it is when it comes to what they are in regards to the Australian yellow blue and as Paul said " get on with it" and get a few on the perch because at this stage it's not a very stable mutation imo. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Funny..what comes to my mind with Australian yellow blue..is green??? :problem: :eh:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Blue Cuban

I would like to know when the article for Australia yellows was published in the book "Guide to Gouldians" because in here it's refered to as an "Australia white" and after seeing a stunning example from and accomplished breeder in WA it made sense, this bird was Snow White.
Hobby finch Keeper
$bill

Well I think I have the new mutation cross from the Lime and Blue and how's this for the new name "Wildbill's Blues" ...LOL Now I could go even further and call them "Sbill Blues" but I think it would scare buyers away :wtf:
Imagine some-one rings up to buy a pair of "$bill Blues "- Sounds a pretty stupid bird name so I would have to upgrade it to "Serious $bill Blues"-You can't even buy normals for that $bill price!
All jokes aside as I have not forgot we have a few serious ones here. I think I've cracked it with the cross -the 2 grey young were out today and I had a good look at them near the young blue -Two are steele grey and the other one from the other nest is a blue.
Are they the picture of total health -I'd say not really but they are still alive and kicking and flying so that's something. Either way I will post a picture when the time is right without hunting or stressing them further.
it will either be photo -on the perch or at ground level. time will tell with this pair.
Blue Cuban

Can't wait to see it all coloured up.

As for naming it it won't really matter what you call it going on current form of the naming of the Aussie blue/white/avb because it will be changed every 3yrs and the person who bred it will also receive a new name. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich.
Last edited by Blue Cuban on 13 Apr 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Hobby finch Keeper
$bill

Well if its still kicking in a couple of weeks I may have a chance. The eldest of the 2 young greys appears the better or stronger of the two . The youngest has had the wings dropped right from the very beginning and was easily the smallest in the nest of 6 birds.
All 4 green back nest mates are fine.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If they are going to be dark gray you could call them "Charcols" and confuse people even further as to what type of finch you are talking about. :silent:
LML
LML
garymc

I've seen it often where the same mutation given a different name commands a different price.

As for naming of this one - I agree entirely with Pauls comment.

As for who decides the name - consider the zebra finch mutation called "George"
arthur

garymc wrote:consider the zebra finch mutation called "George"
Or that widely applied (in Europe) . . and genetically meaningless "Isabel"

Return to “Mutation Finches”