New name for Gouldian

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
garyh

At the Geelong sale,a prominent breeder of Australian yellow blues had birds for sale,she had previously named them straw backs,but on Sunday she had changed the name to Variegated Australian blues,or something very similar,i was asked about what the proper name of these birds should be by Les Harding a couple of weeks ago,asked about the new name he said it had been approved and a formal document will be released soon with all the details of the new name,my question is who do you go and see to name a new mutation,and shouldn't it be the person who breed it first naming the bird,cheers garyh
Bgould

I asked the same question also when I heard about it last weekend at the Gunnedah Bird sale in NSW. As far as I have been told the two persons you mention Gary have penciled an article together and hope to have it publish in a Bird magazine soon hence naming the mutation as you mentioned. I do know of a breeder who had this mutation on the perch at least 7 years ago and in fact Dr Rob Marshall from Sydney used a photograph of one in a news letter to his clients.
Bgould

I just checked the forums archives and I posted a photo of this mutation that I had bred in the October 2011 news letter. And I had seen this mutation with my own eyes at another breeders place at least 3 years prior to that. So my dates were a little out its been longer than seven years.
J_Robbo

Bit of topic but was that you with the Blue backs at the Gunnedah Bird sale Bgould.
garyh

Yes these two breeders seem to have decided that this is what the bird should be called,but who gives them this right,according to Les they have gone through some sort of authority to achieve this name as other names were already taken,but who the authority is i have no idea,garyh
Bgould

No it was a mate of mine who lives in the Gunnedah area.
gouldianpaul

the naming of the Aussie Yellow Blue....(yes I called it as most people understand it) is a whole lot of dribble. Some breeders want to come up with different names to portray an image they have a new mutation. Maybe if they just focused on producing good quality birds year after year they wouldn't need to invent new names for existing mutations.

The argument of naming a mutation will go on forever, but for goodness sake why can't people just accept the most commonly used name and get on with it......cheers, Paul
Craig52

gouldianpaul wrote:the naming of the Aussie Yellow Blue....(yes I called it as most people understand it) is a whole lot of dribble. Some breeders want to come up with different names to portray an image they have a new mutation. Maybe if they just focused on producing good quality birds year after year they wouldn't need to invent new names for existing mutations.

The argument of naming a mutation will go on forever, but for goodness sake why can't people just accept the most commonly used name and get on with it......cheers, Paul
:thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: Craig
D0NKEY

Well said Paul.
J_Robbo

Bgould wrote:No it was a mate of mine who lives in the Gunnedah area.
ah ok I almost bought them of him, but they were sold buy the time i got back.
atleast that kept me out of trouble with the minister of finance. :lol:

Return to “Mutation Finches”