Kingfisher or what

iva

Hi everyone
For a bit of homework I have a photo of bird that I never seen before in my area. Was just sitting next to the aviary.
Anyone knows what is this bird? Is it a Kingfisher?Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paintedfiretail

Butcher bird sizing up your Finches get ride of it asp.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yep Grey Butcher Bird getting ready for an easy feed.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
D0NKEY

Butcher bird ... them and the miners .... grrr
elferoz777

:hothead:

2 of the mongrels have been hassling my aviaries.

When i threw something at it iteye balled the projectile then attacked it when it hit thd ground

Evil things.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
iva

Thanks everyone, will chase it away.
escapin

anyone have a solution for butcher birds and mynas that keeps them at bay? something other than brutal force?

I've been working them over with chicken pellets in a sling shot. Doesnt hit them, just scares them as crap flies everywhere.
matcho

Iva,
I live in Inner Sydney, they turn up at this time of year because they are trying to make new territories. In all reality they are the most horrid little devils you can meet. They have the most beautiful but bone chilling song. When you hear it you know you may have a problem because you may have a resident pair. They will pull your birds, piece by piece through the wire. They will sit on the wire and will mesmerize the birds until they come close. Always have your perches at least 6 inches away from the wire. I have one at the moment, this years clutch, it comes from a pair that live down by the canal, 500 metres or so in a straight line. He comes down for the morning feed because he knows the feeding of the sprouted seed the finches come to the feeding bowls on the spinners, so close. Simple, double wired the rotating feeding station. I near have to brush him away at feeding time . Had a family of Magpies a couple of years ago who I would hand feed, not any problem with the aviary. I have Currawongs turn up for a couple of weeks each year (read 4 time the butcherbird size) but they don't stay long because of the overhanging roof and finch wire. They do cause me grief with my resident spotted doves which I feed each morning. In all hind sight they are doing their best. Put it this way, would rather deal with them than mongrel cats, that is a 24 hour problem.
I have found that Noisy miners and butcherbirds are a cyclical thing, this time of year new chicks for the butcherbirds are trying to find a food source and set up a new territory, no consistent food here so they move away. Miners on the other hand are a different thing. The warmer breeding months is the time where they are most aggressive. They live in family groups and defend their territory, doesn't matter if it is a bird in a cage or free flying. Must admit though they will tell you if there is a cat around.

This is all the joy of bird keeping! Imagine living in the rural areas where so many of our members live and having to deal with owls, goshawks, snakes etc, etc.

Get a net, catch it up, grab it, scare the *censored* out of it and it won't come back, but, they do bite!

good luck

Ken.
Last edited by matcho on 28 Apr 2016, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The butcher birds will dive at the finches and try to pull them through the wire. My dog learnt to bark at them from my yelling at them. Don't know why but havn't seen any recently.
LML
LML
matcho

Sorry,

I posted a four letter word that started with "S" and ended with "t" and it was censored... are we coming so PC that a word that is published in every newspaper everyday is censored here on this forum? If I had used the "F" or "C" word I could understand. So I will rephrase my last sentence, "Get a net, catch it up, grab it, scare the faeces out of it and it won't come back, but, they do bite!' Grrrrr. I hate PC.
Will probably be fined because I criticised the bunker!

Ken

Return to “Anything else”