benglanese

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
gouldian4

does any body know the mating ritual of benglanese i just purchased a pair and want to know if they are opposite sex. not really that bothered but would still like them to breed once or twice for me thanks luke
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ive had a pair for about a month and just before they started hanging out in the nest there was a lot of dancing and strutting and lots of vocals from the male , funny thing was I put in a box nest and they didnt go near it but the minute I turned the nest so the opening faced forward instead of sideways they were in and on eggs....Im guessing they like to see whats coming at them.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
brad359

hi luke males sing and dance females lay eggs
some people sex them by holding bird up by neck if tail tucks under hen stay straight male if i remember correctly.
best way is males sing and dance cant bring myself to hold bird by neck.
if you are going to use for fostering you need to get ones from fostering line or if you cant the next best is cabinet bread ones that have never been in aviary and never bread their own then only let them raise one type of finch .
gouldian4

ok thanks. i dont think i could bring myself to hold them by the neck though. i think ill just wait and see if any thing happens
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

the male can have a larger head /beak than the hen. these birds can breed like wild fire so you couldnt miss the dance when it happens :P
brad359

thats why i have one pair of males
gouldian4

so when do you know you can put the eggs in with them if there both males they dont go in the nest and start laying
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

time will tell what you have , you cant miss the courtship routine it kinda goes on and on and on even after they have eggs.....
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
brad359

iam no expert at fostering but this is what i have tryed at times keep some clear eggs had one egg at a time one per day both males must think other layed it then both males will take turn sitting once in breeding mode you can add fertile egss all at same time try not letting birds see you changing eggs .
14 or so days later you should have chicks .
i only keep the one pair of bangos to use when i find abanded nest or when changing brush and find nests , also if you get parent bird chucking nestlings you can put them in with bangos and they will raise they for you most of the time when in breeding mode.
gouldian4

i wish i would have got a pair of these about 4 months ago. i had 5 babies chucked out of a nest about 3 months ago. male wants to breed again but female doesnt seem interested. sometimes i catch 2 of my finches diving on there female partner. female flies off and doesnt look 2 impressed does any 1 know y this is?

Return to “Breeding Finches”