Colour variance

Includes Species Profile.
Blue Cuban

Well I have been out playing with the camera and it sure has been educational.
Firstly to try and capture the colours as the eye would see it on a camera that I'm not familiar with and with out a flash has been very challenging and they are still far from what you would see in real life.

Any way I thought I would still post them although they are not a true indication of colour but it will give you a idea of where the bird is at regarding its moult.
Bird2.jpg
Both of the following birds are from the same parents and are white breasted (bird in question is on the right).
Bird4.jpg
Bird3.jpg
(I must admit I was tempted not to share these pics simply because I couldn't correctly capture what I and others can see when looking at this bird)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

Hopefully these pics will give a clearer picture of what the difference is that I can see.
Unfortunately I had to shoot from outside the aviary through the wire but I think the difference is clearer now.
DSC04557.jpg
DSC04556.jpg
At this stage there is no sign of yellow coming through and right up to the breast line and around the legs it is still looking very clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
Craig52

I agree with Tiaris that it's a WB hen, the WB tends to change the back colour in normal's slightly especially in hens but not as drastically as in sfwb Euro yellow cocks imo. Craig
Blue Cuban

Going by the size of the bird and its beak shape and its stance I would say your all right regarding it being a female and the fact it is showing white in its breast I guess this would also make it a white breast.

Looking at all its offspring today while cleaning the aviary they all appear to have this different juvenile colour but by far this bird is at the extreme end of the colour variation.
Also what I might have here is just another ordinary pair of birds producing its own shade of green like what happens in normal birds in the wild in isolated pockets.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Gouldian”