Brown where white should be?

Includes Species Profile
Painted4

I bought some Tri-Nuns at the sale on the weekend, I just noticed today that one of them is brown where it should be white....upon closer inspection the other 3 I bought all have varying degrees of brown 'specs' in their white markings...please tell me I haven't just bought a bunch of hybrids? I've had a bit of bad luck from this sale so far, and it was only yesterday. Now that I look at it, I honestly don't know how I didn't realise until now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Ok, you haven't bought a bunch of hybrids. Mmm. :wtf:
Tiaris

Non hybrids have clean white with no other markings in the pale flank area. I wouldn't allow them to breed.
E Orix

Personal opinion
Black Headed X Tri Coloured.
Even the ones with the fleck in them will most likely be crossed.
Once you get that colour into your Tri 's it is virtually impossible to breed out.
Painted4

Yeah, I thought as much, I have a pair already that have nice clean markings, my plan was to set up a small colony. I bought a pair of Song Sparrows and 2 pair of Tri-nuns......Song Sparrows died overnight (checked them, they were stick thin) and Tri-nuns are hybrids, beautiful. I guess that will teach me for buying birds without having a proper look at them.
Tiaris wrote:Non hybrids have clean white with no other markings in the pale flank area. I wouldn't allow them to breed.
I have no intention of letting them breed, thanks for the confirmation.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bloke up Rockhampton way has same birds..reckons it is normal variation of the wild type. ..say there is 4 types of them..white bellied. .brown belly. ..striated or marked...and a lighter brown type. ..beats me I have the white ones :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A very pretty lonchura. But nothing like any Tri nun I have ever seen.
LML
LML
Tiaris

vettepilot_6 wrote:Bloke up Rockhampton way has same birds..reckons it is normal variation of the wild type. ..say there is 4 types of them..white bellied. .brown belly. ..striated or marked...and a lighter brown type. ..beats me I have the white ones :thumbup:
Ther are in fact some very isolated regional forms in the wild with these types of variations but they were never among those which were imported & established in Australian aviaries. Any in aviaries here with anything other than clean white are hybrids.
arthur

Anybody coming up with 'normal variations of wild type' many decades after importation . . legal or otherwise

:wave: :wave: :wave: :thumbdown:
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bit late on seeing about this but I Think its hybrid too.Also thought to show this link shows photo of the nominate specie and only known subspecie of the Tri Colour Munia. http://www.avitoon.nl/en/exotic-birds/m ... ded-munia/

Return to “Tri Coloured Nun”