Grenadiers

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
greg4041

Hi I have just been given the opportunity to obtain a group of 9 Grenadiers and am looking for any info anyone can give me the info I can find on the net seems to contradict a lot of what their current owner has told me.
Thanks Greg
Alf63

1st Question - How many are cocks & hens?

2nd Question - What sort of aviary are you looking to house them in?
Weaver

Are we talking about weavers or waxbills?
greg4041

Hi they are weavers 3 cocks and 6 hens and it depends what they might be compatible with as to what size aviary I would put them in, they are not a species that was on my wish list but have been offered to me free so I am looking at options.
E Orix

Firstly they don't pair, if you have multiple cockbirds you will generally get a dominant one, he will build in an area and most
likely all hens will utilise his area. Possibly through the season the females may up a move to another cockbirds area.
To run 3 cockbirds in the colony would require a rather huge aviary, first to give the cockbirds enough area to attract the hens.
too many cockbirds can actually mean less chicks as the hens get harassed while trying to get enough food for the chicks.
Until an aviary size can be decided we are really in the dark.
One thing I will say if your aviary set up is suitable you will be impressed by their display and activity.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EO as the expert can I ask you? Purely out of curiosity because I do not have weavers. If i found myself in this situation and had say 3 of 3x3mtr avairys. Would the best scenario to get the most results be to put a trio in each avairy?
LML
LML
E Orix

Firstly I still haven't come across an expert bird breeder only ones that know a little more than others.
Believe me their are times that I think I am a real novice.
An aviary 3mx3m would be the bottom size but would do if you put say one plant with vertical stems for the Weaver to build in.
Secondly they do far better in a 3mx3m(9sq m) than say 2mmx4.5m both are the same size in area but the square aviary is in my opinion
better for the cockbird to display in. Narrow aviaries can restrict his display and driving of the hen.
Weavers can be a challenge but well worth the effort.
branchez

Also be prepared to feed large amounts of live food (mealworms,crickets)when they are rearing young.
Jack
greg4041

Thanks all for that info but still interested in possible compatibility with other species not large numbers but possibly just 2 or 4 birds
jonno0383

Some people find that the males displays can be a bit Boisterous and disturb other occupants in the aviary. Size is the big factor here as the more room you have the more options for escape for shyer birds. Generally Grenadier weavers are not aggressive birds and get along well with other finches but they can dominate the food dishes and are much larger than other finches so this needs to be considered as well. Multiple males can lead to further disturbance as the boys joust for domination as well. Hopefully this helps :thumbup:

Return to “Non Specific Questions”