Australian Blue

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
alvin

Hi Guy
Looking for feedback on the color of this Blue, All pics is of the same bird, I have bred Cocks this color but no hens, any thoughts out there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finchy

Awesome! It's like the turquoise of the neck has extended. Very nice.

I have no useful thoughts to offer you though!

How's the resilience of these birds? Do you do anything special with them?
Blue Cuban

Very nice Alvin.. :thumbup:

Love this colour blue.
I've never seen a WA blue but if I was to guess it would look very similar to this.

Rich
Hobby finch Keeper
garyh

Knowing the parentage of the bird would help,from the pictures this lighter blue colour is achieved when you breed euro yellow to blue,from what i have been told the WA blues were darker in colour than the blues we have here in Vic,nice bird,garyh
alvin

Hi Gary
The parents of this bird were green back splits, the Australian blue is a turquoise blue, the way the book describes it, is what`s shown on this bird. Don't get me wrong, not saying 100% it is, posted to get feed back and any feed back would be appreciated. can post the pic of the Australian blue
alvin

Hi Gary
The parents of this bird were green back splits, the Australian blue is a turquoise blue, the way the book describes it, is what`s shown on this bird. Don't get me wrong, not saying 100% it is, posted to get feed back and any feed back would be appreciated. Australian blue taken from the book Guide to Gouldian Finches, not to clear though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyh

Hi Alvin, don't get me wrong,i hope this bird does have something different in it,if you look on page 104 of that book i think it shows a better photo of the bird and it's greenish blue colour which makes the bird in the book photo different,as i said i hope you do have something ,garyh
Blue Cuban

The colours between Alvins bird and the birds from the book "A guide to Gouldian Finches & their mutations" do have a colour difference but I think these birds have been used just as a reference compared to a normal (darker) blue.
I also believe that the 2 birds from the book are the same birds but different photographers, looks like same perch and aviary and to think very little is know of this strain it could well be likely, just an opinion and happy to be corrected.
Page 103
image.jpeg
Page 104
image.jpeg
And like Gary I hope we have something new that can be established.
Good luck Alvin.
Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
alvin

The blue comes in a variety of shades. They list the (Australian Blue) as the Turquoise blue which is the colour of this bird. as in the DF blue we have a variety of shades of blue, I'm sure in the DF turquoise there will also be a variation in shades. back colours in blue mutation are slight and it changes the mutation example Australian dilute blue Gouldian. As Richard mention not much is known about the Australian blue, the bird in the book looks more like the sea green mutation, is this just not one of the blue birds in our aviaries, after all, the Gouldian comes from here, whether it was taken to Europe and brought back, as blue what difference does it make. Thanks for the input, we need more of these topics
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I absolutely love your bird. It is the most beautiful shade of blue. Don't know what type of blue it is but, do keep doing whatever you are doing to get this fantastic colour.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”