Things I have learnt about RFPF

Includes Species Profile
BlackCobra

Some birds are so easy to sex, but others I still have no idea, I have about 25 or more RFPF in my holding cage, I have used very bright coloured rings so I can see from a distance, I had 4 seagrean hens, I have managed to work out 13 or so males as I have seen them singing many times, as for the others I think I have 2 hens Im pretty sure of, as from previous experience, in one nest I had what I thought was 2 cocks & 1 hen, the hen looked no where as good as her brothers, some time after I had put as a pair in another aviary she started to sing, so I learnt a great lesson no matter how bad a bird looks it still can be a cock, also all cocks don't sing, I found when there colouring up there's more of a chance to see them sing, later some cocks don't seem to sing at all, I think a lot of the time its dominance that stops them, as when other cocks are removed they all of a sudden start to sing, so with all the birds in my holding cage, I am going to remove all the males & see if any others will start to sing, I know there is other males in there by there brighter colour & amount of red.
My son bought 9 pairs of RFPF from the bird sales & some a friend that guaranteed the sexes, in the end I think he had 2 hens & 16 cocks, so with my experiences & from other people supposedly pairs, I now know no one can guarantee the sexes unless its genetic like my 4 seagrean hens that come from my normal males split seagreen, or if you had a seagreen cock with a RFPF female as you end up with all sexable babies as you get 100% seagreen hens & all 100% split males.
I learnt very early on not to leave the younger birds in the aviary as I have had young males rape other babies coming out of the nest.
Also I have found you can breed them without live food but you probably get less young.
Also I found it much better to use a small upright wire nest or box as when they make there own nest the young come out much earlier as the nest faces down & on hot days they hang out & fall out of nest or just fall out, since using wire nests they stay in a lot longer.
BlackCobra

Thanks Stuart
The only problem with me writing an article it takes me a long time with one finger typing, lol.

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”