Swift Parrots

arthur

http://birdlife.org.au/media/swift-parr ... destroyed/

I think that there would be a lot of aviculturists who could suggest a very simple method for the prevention of the extinction of Swifts . . .

Old English piece of wisdom:

"The law goes hard on man or woman,
Who steals the goose from off the common;
But lets the greater sinner loose,
Who steals the common from the goose."
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The solution isn't giving birds to private aviculturalists to breed. The solution isn't habitat protection efforts.

The solution is doing both of these things at the same time.
Craig52

I agree with you Shane but in actual fact there are a lot of breeders with and breeding them successfully especially in Europe where they have a multitude of mutations in them most likely due to inbreeding and lack of genetic material.
But that may be so in captivity. I do not believe they are endangered in the wild and it's a media hype, i see them quite often locally when the white flowering gums are in bloom but really don't know if they breed on the mainland or in Tasmania or there is a resident population on the mainland as books are only words but the birds have got there own agenda imo. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Shane says! In Capital Letters!
LML
LML
iaos

Craig52 wrote:I do not believe they are endangered in the wild and it's a media hype, i see them quite often locally when the white flowering gums are in bloom but really don't know if they breed on the mainland or in Tasmania or there is a resident population on the mainland as books are only words but the birds have got there own agenda imo. Craig
Craig, that is a completely ridiculous statement. Take some time to do some reading on the subject before coming to the conclusion that they aren't endangered...

As for the possibility of a mainland breeding population... If there are there aren't many of them, have a look at the summer records from ebird http://ebird.org/ebird/australia/map/sw ... 0&eyr=2016
Craig52

Just my opinion and i did say imo. Ridiculous is a bit harsh. Craig
iaos

Craig, indeed it is just your opinion. However, when it comes to finches, your opinion is usually spot on :thumbup: When it comes to this forum, people listen to your opinions...

In general the media doesn't tow the green message unless it is a big ticket item (barrier reef or koalas). Based on current population trends, one model predicts swift parrots to be extinct within 16 years. The prediction my not come to furition, but swiftys are in strife in the wild.

A healthy captive population is essential, but so is securing and maintaining breeding and wintering habitat.
Storz

So Craigs statement is ridiculous because it differs from yours. unbelievable
Craig52

Storz wrote:So Craigs statement is ridiculous because it differs from yours. unbelievable
All good, maybe i was a bit over the top but i'm allowed to dream :D Craig :thumbup:
Craig52

IMG_7155.jpg
Craig52 wrote:
Storz wrote:So Craigs statement is ridiculous because it differs from yours. unbelievable
All good, maybe i was a bit over the top but i'm allowed to dream :D Craig :thumbup:
And yes i have kept and bred Swift Parrots iaos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Parrots”