Siamese fireback pheasants

toothlessjaws

For the last 5 or so years I have virtually failed to find a single shred of information or evidence on the web that suggests siamese firebacks are still around and i'm wondering if anyone else has got any updates? Surely there are a few kicking still but I wonder if they are breeding and being sold?
Alf63

Recently had this discussion with a fellow aviculturalist who had seen some recently.

They are still here in very low numbers but it is unlikely any viable hens are left. Very doubtful they are being bred and less likely that anything worth buying will be offered for sale.

Alf63
toothlessjaws

Thanks for the update Alf.

Terrible shame, but a reality i'm sadly getting used to.

Many non-parrot exotics seem to be in severe decline. The Asian songbird species (Pekins, magpie-robins and Mesia's) seem next to go. I'm also worried Ruddy shelducks are on the edge.

Does anyone know if there are many Nicobar pigeons going around privately? they seem to be doing okay at Taronga but concerning that no other zoos are paying an interest (no surprises there) and that I never hear of them privately.
roma9009

Your spot on there parrots seem to be the thing and the minority seems to worry about all the rest
iaos

Re Nicobars - Taronga and Featherdale have large colonies. Gorge is SA has a few and Rockhampton zoo have a few. Few a far between in private hands. Although at least one private breeder has a small/mid sized colony.
toothlessjaws

Thanks ios - I did not know about the featherdale colony.

Sadly, exotic birds seem to be a revolving door at Melbourne zoo. I've seen Siamese firebacks, nicobar pigeons and pekin robins all come and go again off display with no signs of breeding. likewise large colonies of red-faced parrotfinches and tri coloured munias seem to filled avairies then disappeared within a year. I don't know if they short-term loan birds, have extensive off-show facilities or high mortality rates but I suspect the latter - some of their choices of aviary mates are highly questionable.....

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”