Perth Finch Seed

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Rob

Where are Perth people buying their seed. What price? Somebody told me it's illegal for bags over 20kg to be sold?? Why is that?
Craig52

Rob wrote:Where are Perth people buying their seed. What price? Somebody told me it's illegal for bags over 20kg to be sold?? Why is that?
You will have to wait till someone from WA replies regarding the seed but it is a National Health and Safety regulation of the 20kg weight for a human to lift. Craig
Rob

Craig52 wrote:
Rob wrote:Where are Perth people buying their seed. What price? Somebody told me it's illegal for bags over 20kg to be sold?? Why is that?
You will have to wait till someone from WA replies regarding the seed but it is a National Health and Safety regulation of the 20kg weight for a human to lift. Craig
Thanks Craig. That's silly if you ask me. There's fork lifts, 2 person lifts and many other ways of lifting a load bigger than 20kg safely. To make that size bag "illegal" is rediculous for that reasoning. That is what a supplier said to me - it's illegal. Work safe has gone nuts.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, that's a common myth. No such law exists in any state or at the commonwealth level.

Safe Work Australia even has a "true or false" page on their website dedicated to it.
Verdict: False

Reason: Under the model Work Health and Safety Regulations there is no prescribed maximum weight limit for lifting. A prescribed limit is not set because different individuals have different physical capabilities.

More Information:

To determine the appropriate control measures, the focus is on an assessment of the risk factors:

actions and movements
working posture and position when lifting
duration and frequency of manual handling
location of loads and the distances moved
characteristics of the load, and
physical capability of person
Any weight load can cause problems if, for example, the load is lifted incorrectly or if lifted in an environment that is unsafe. A manual handling injury can result from the use of incorrect lifting techniques which may make the load awkward to lift or heavier by virtue of the lifting technique itself.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I buy 20 or 25 kg bags because that is what my supplier now stocks. But a few still stock 40 kgs
LML
LML
Rob

finchbreeder wrote:I buy 20 or 25 kg bags because that is what my supplier now stocks. But a few still stock 40 kgs
LML
I was looking for 40kg bags hoping it would be better value but can't find any.

I thought that was a load of crap when I was told the sale of heavier bags was illegal. I certainly don't recall anything similar when I was a safety rep in the mines. 20kg was what they say is the max safe weight to lift but that's it.
The places where we used to buy bigger quantities as a kid doesn't exist anymore so that's why I am asking where Perth people get their seed from.
E Orix

All I know is I can carry 20kg around far easier than a 40kg especially when I used to get a pallet load
which was 50 bags. Even these days by the time the 10th bag is lifted it feels like 50kg.
Craig52

ShaneGowland wrote:Actually, that's a common myth. No such law exists in any state or at the commonwealth level.

Safe Work Australia even has a "true or false" page on their website dedicated to it.
Verdict: False

Reason: Under the model Work Health and Safety Regulations there is no prescribed maximum weight limit for lifting. A prescribed limit is not set because different individuals have different physical capabilities.

More Information:

To determine the appropriate control measures, the focus is on an assessment of the risk factors:

actions and movements
working posture and position when lifting
duration and frequency of manual handling
location of loads and the distances moved
characteristics of the load, and
physical capability of person
Any weight load can cause problems if, for example, the load is lifted incorrectly or if lifted in an environment that is unsafe. A manual handling injury can result from the use of incorrect lifting techniques which may make the load awkward to lift or heavier by virtue of the lifting technique itself.
Ok, so it's user beware but i'm pretty sure that i wouldn't be lifting 40 kg bags of seed or cement powder. All these were once sold in 40kg bags so you can guarantee that back then there were many back injuries. imo Craig
MuzzaD

The 3 outlets I use are Swan Valley Birds on Gt Eastern Hwy Midland, Bird and Fish on Welshpool Rd Wattle Grove, and Nutri Wing available from Tony T at the FSWA club.
All have good mixes or individual seeds available. Prices vary a bit but are fairly consistent. Still have to have 20kg bags but sometimes there is a discount if you buy more than 1 bag.
Strop

I agree Craig, I'm in the building game and I hated lifting 40kg bags of cement and now I only see 20kg bags which in the long run has to be better for your back and as Muzza said if you buy more than one bag than hopefully you can buy it cheaper.

Cheers Strop.

Return to “Diet & Food”