Is this a CFW chick, or not?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
winic1

Loaned 2 NG zebra finches to the local high school science teacher. Taught him and a few students how to take care of them. They nested and raised 6 babies, which have recently fledged.

Dad is NG/CFW. Mom is NG. unknown parents or genetics beyond that.

Six babies: 2 NG, 1 NG pied, 1 CFW (so is a female), and 2 mystery birds.

I only have a few pictures taken with a phone during a quick visit to the school to get a look at them. So, I'll describe them to make what the pictures show more clear. Mystery babies are white underneath, silvery grey heads (lighter than NG), but the silver grey goes down their backs. Wing feathers have grey down the middle, and are white on each side, but thickly white, not just the very edges. Cheeks are white.

Could these birds be CFW and will simply molt out to white? have never seen a CFW with so much grey, and it is perfectly, regularly, symmetrically patterned. Or, are they something else? has anyone seen chicks like this?

Mystery chick:

Dad, NG chick, mystery chick, NG pied chick, NG chick, CFW chick:

NG chick, CFW chick, mystery chick, Dad:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am no expert, but might both parents be carrying recessive dilute? As this looks a little like what you have here.
LML
LML
winic1

The male came from a friend who only said he was probably split CFW, which he does seem to be.
I have his sister, who is CFW, and when mated to an NG/CFW male, gave two beautiful shiny white CFW chicks, one female, one male, whose markings are light

The mom came from a pet store, and looks just NG to me, there are so few finch keepers up here that I had no choice but to go to a store when I was down a few females (and all hell was breaking loose in the cage). She had quite the history there, was sold but escaped when being taken out of the cage, and lived loose in the store for 2 months before they caught her again, then spent several more months there as no one wanted to buy her, so I took her home (where she'd escaped twice on me, once right through the bars), and so when choosing the pair to go to school, I thought she'd appreciate the adventure.
winic1

I found a picture of another zebra finch with the same sort of markings as my mystery two. The person posting this was also asking what it was, and no one had anything to offer.
Does this help, does anyone know what these birds are? Not just CFW, way too much color. Mine have the same spattered look and patterning to the feathers. This post's finch is older than mine, since the beak is colored out.
http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35365
CathyCraftz

I am not sure, just let them moult and do their job ;)
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A year on it would be nice to see a new picture and see how they turned out.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”