Disappearing Young

Includes Species Profile
Greg41

I have a pair of Red Siskins that have fledged two lots of 2 this summer and the hen was sitting again on 4 eggs. Two days ago 3 of them hatched
and today when I put in some grasses the young had gone,disappered from the nest. I could not see them on the ground.
There is a pair of red cheek cordons in with them and the last 2 siskens that fledged were also still in the aviary, nothing had changed from when the last pair fledged.I dont think that it was vermin, any thoughts?

Cheers
GDG
arthur

Any geckoes over there . .

One of many possibilities
Craig52

I think you might find the parents have chucked them, at that stage they dehydrate very quickly and/or ants remove them.
Most reasons for this is the weather,too hot or wet or too cold but the most common is lack of livefood. Remember you are feeding livefood to the parents who inturn have to feed the hatched young, the two fledged young and a pr of cordons. Craig
Greg41

Hi , I have just looked at all the articles on this subject in the" Search Function "and most reasons are covered.
Mine could have been lack of live food but I"m inclined to think that one of the other birds ditched them.
They are given maggotts, meal worms , seeding grasses, sprouted seed, sunflower/niger mix and a tonic type mix.
Each morning when I feed them I take out the live food from the night before and replace it with fresh.
If she goes back to nest again I will ensure that they are given the very best chance of fledging.

Cheers
GDG

Return to “Red Siskin”