spice finch? mannikan? crossbreed?

An area to ask about species that are not Native to Australia.
escapin

Gday
Just wondering if someone knows what these are? look like a spice but dont have enough bars on their chest from the pics I've seen?
20170215_184118.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
escapin

pic 2
finch22.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starman

Only guessing here, but possibly a Scaly-breasted Munia (Spice) or hybrid there of.. The pics are a bit 'generic' as they don't show enough of the breast and under parts to be truly helpful. Do you know where the birds are located?

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree that better pics would help. If hybrids they are persumably nest mates, as all the same.
LML
LML
matcho

They look to me like young birds, maybe wait till they moult out. In all truth I have no idea, but have seen similar when all of the young birds of the feral Spice flock in Sans Souci in the late 60's early 70's. Must admit though, if you are a munia fancier they are good lookers.

Ken.
escapin

they were purchased from an old bloke on the gold coast. Supposedly he had lots in the aviary and they all look the same (a mate of mine grabbed them and then didnt really want them).

Currently located in my shed, will take some more pics tomorrow.
arthur

Guessing blind without knowing the species in the 'old blokes' aviary but pretty obviously hybrids . . hope he didn't pay too much for them

Looking at the bird in the foreground of the second pic there might be Pictorella involved . . by the spots on the wing

But ?????????
jonno0383

I'd be inclined to say they're probably a hybrid of javan munia and african Silverbill. The scalloping pattern on the head and chest is very similar to the silverbill while the uniform colour in the wings is similar to the Javan. I'd ask the original owner about the origins of these birds to be sure. :thumbup: As an avid fan of the Lonchura family I hope I'm wrong, If so they could be White-rumped munia, Lonchura striata. It won't be Scaly-breasted munia, Lonchura punctulata as the scalloping on the stomach is not as pronounced on these birds I hope for your sake they prove to be white rumped and wish you luck with them
escapin

Set me back a massive $5ea so that is no concern. I thought javan munia but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Just didnt look quite spice finch, but were skinnier than a regular mannikan and make a different noise too.

new pics in the morning before I find them a home in my aviarys
Craig52

arthur wrote:Guessing blind without knowing the species in the 'old blokes' aviary but pretty obviously hybrids . . hope he didn't pay too much for them

Looking at the bird in the foreground of the second pic there might be Pictorella involved . . by the spots on the wing

But ?????????
Yes i can see pictorella in them too, scaly white breast as well as spots on the wing as well as a steely grey back on the one in the front of the second pic but crossed with a self chocolate bengo as i think i can see a pied white wing feather in one. Only guessing though. Craig

Return to “Foreign Finches”