exotic species triage...

An area to ask about species that are not Native to Australia.
toothlessjaws

As someone with a keen interest in exotics, it can be pretty disheartening to hear of how many species are disappearing from our collections. I get the impression many are simply burning out due to a inevitable decline in genetic diversity and the regular expanding and contracting of populations of some of the mid-popular species surely contributes to this.

So it had me thinking. Whats species do you think WE DO have the a good shot at preserving long-term but need help?

Whilst i'll always keep the staples, when i get some more space i'd love to pick a rare species that has a shot and really work hard on making them more common.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good question...but as I have found most of the younger ones just want the birds...dont care if mutation or split or whatever... I am trying to keep pures going (for my liking) but feel it is a losing battle...like someone else on here pretty much ready to give it all away.... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The battle is lost only when no one is willing to take up arms. Or - put more simply - Ave A Go. VP I wish you the best with your endeavours, and the patience not to give up. TJ do some googling re numbers, then pick one you fancy from those in short supply and go for it.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Toothlessjaws...Strawberries are one I can think of...I could be wrong but either one of the Mask finch? :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
toothlessjaws

vettepilot_6 wrote:Toothlessjaws...Strawberries are one I can think of...I could be wrong but either one of the Mask finch? :thumbup:
Yes, strawberries are the birds i identified also. They seem to be in short supply so its fierce competition to find them.
I have never bred them, but usually had a cock or two in my possession (as i do now) years. unfortunately i have been trying to chase down some for a year now with no luck. knowing finding spare hens are a fat-chance scenario, I'll even buy pairs, i don't care. but they go so quick. if anyone can help me out please PM me!
vettepilot_6 wrote:Good question...but as I have found most of the younger ones just want the birds...dont care if mutation or split or whatever... I am trying to keep pures going (for my liking) but feel it is a losing battle...like someone else on here pretty much ready to give it all away.... :think:
By that you mean younger bird breeders? There is such a thing? But yes mutant gene pollution is a problem, and i only ever buy normals. I recently got a pair of pure normal red-faced parrot finches to see if i can keep a line going of those as i heard they were becoming harder to find. So far they have only produced normal coloured chicks.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

toothlessjaws wrote:
vettepilot_6 wrote:Toothlessjaws...Strawberries are one I can think of...I could be wrong but either one of the Mask finch? :thumbup:
Yes, strawberries are the birds i identified also. They seem to be in short supply so its fierce competition to find them.
I have never bred them, but usually had a cock or two in my possession (as i do now) years. unfortunately i have been trying to chase down some for a year now with no luck. knowing finding spare hens are a fat-chance scenario, I'll even buy pairs, i don't care. but they go so quick. if anyone can help me out please PM me!
vettepilot_6 wrote:Good question...but as I have found most of the younger ones just want the birds...dont care if mutation or split or whatever... I am trying to keep pures going (for my liking) but feel it is a losing battle...like someone else on here pretty much ready to give it all away.... :think:
By that you mean younger bird breeders? There is such a thing? But yes mutant gene pollution is a problem, and i only ever buy normals. I recently got a pair of pure normal red-faced parrot finches to see if i can keep a line going of those as i heard they were becoming harder to find. So far they have only produced normal coloured chicks.

Fellow down vic has some Strawbs for sale but at $200pr.... he is a dealer.... have bought birds from him and they are quality birds though.. :thumbup: Yeah I have RFPF also same so far no mutations.. (fingers crossed) I have a couple of pairs of Strawbs that are just starting to build nests again...first lot of eggs clear (first timers) so I am hoping for better luck this time round.... :think: :thumbup:
starman

vettepilot_6 wrote:...like someone else on here pretty much ready to give it all away.... :
I once took this dire step and lost so much traction in the hobby that it now has me wondering why I didn't just scale back and re-assess my situation and options. It's usually not long before dyed-in-the-wool aviculturists feel the bug bite again and want to refurbish and restock their aviaries.
In my case it had all been disposed of very cheaply and necessitated considerable effort and re-investment to get back about half of what I had built up previously.
What I am saying here is that there is more heartache and sense of loss in giving up as there is in overcoming the trials and tribulations that present themselves all to often in our hobby. RE-ASSESS and reposition the goal posts if necessary, but don't give up....

Sm.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
AMCA26

I believe W.A are doing a Pure strain of Red faced Parrotfinches. If all Clubs did something like QLD and W.A not sure what other States are doing I guess it would not be as bad. Couple of different Species from each State would go along way.
I am into Mutations so I am looking for the hard stuff to find also to keep it going.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Tiaris

A couple of exotics which need help to preserve are Bluecaps & Yellow-winged Pytilias. The main threat to their future as I see it is their requirement for a regular termite supply for consistent breeding success. Actually you can add Melbas to that too for the same reason. All three are gorgeous birds very worthy of preservation IMO.
collector_and_buyer

Totally agree Tiaris.A little extra time and effort is all that is needed.These birds are not beyond most breeders if they are dedicated.

Return to “Foreign Finches”