Parrot suggestions

Lindabear66

Tiaris wrote: 02 Apr 2017, 19:17 If its a male its very young - so young in fact that it couldn't be accurately sexed. I reckon its a hen.
If it is a female, should I let the pet shop know?
Should I separate them now or wait, when does the breeding season start so I can remove her/him?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do mutation scarlets in the hen carry the white stripes under the wing like the normals?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Denozo

The blue scarlet is still quite young but I would be 99% sure is a female even very young males still show darker blue around the face a similar colour to that on the flight feathers. I would not be placing a single male turq in with them either.
Lindabear66

Denozo wrote: 04 Apr 2017, 15:01 The blue scarlet is still quite young but I would be 99% sure is a female even very young males still show darker blue around the face a similar colour to that on the flight feathers. I would not be placing a single male turq in with them either.

What do you suggest I do?
I have a big cage I can put her in or I can return her to pet shop and they will do a swap.
Denozo

It really depends on what you want to do. If breeding is off the cards then I would return the blue scarlet. Not providing a nestbox may deter some pairs but if they are determined I have seen them nest on the floor. Personally I would not put the turq in, wait until next season and provide them with a nestbox and see how I go breeding them.
Lindabear66

Denozo wrote: 04 Apr 2017, 19:00 It really depends on what you want to do. If breeding is off the cards then I would return the blue scarlet. Not providing a nestbox may deter some pairs but if they are determined I have seen them nest on the floor. Personally I would not put the turq in, wait until next season and provide them with a nestbox and see how I go breeding them.
Thank you, I didn't want to breed them. I just wanted males in the aviary and have checked and I can return the blue, such a lovely bird though.
I only have the one aviary and a bigger cage.

When is the next season?
Tiaris

Scarlets will breed between August & May, turqs Sept - Jan.
If the blue scarlet was a male it wouldn't have the darker ground colour on the chest (it would be either pale as on the belly or apricot depending on which blue variant it is). My opinion only.

Return to “Parrots”