Goulding babies out of nest help

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Ajw132

Hi my first finch baby help a baby gouldian was out of the nest and on the floor it is feathered should I put it back in the nest or leave it to fend for itself thanks
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Probably just jump back out....happens with chicks that are checked on....if you have brush in corners of aviary should be okay
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If one out and others still in, I will put the jumper in just on dark, holding my hand over the entry hole till movement ceases indicating they have settled down.
LML
LML
Ajw132

Thanks put it back in and on the ground again today will put it back in the nest again tonight
Craig52

As mentioned earlier, it wont stay in the box now that it is out. If you do put it back in and it jumps at night it will die. The best thing to do is to place some branches/or a small perch close to the floor preferably in the rear of the aviary in a corner.
I haven't done this but i have been told that you can put the it back in the nest very late in the evening and place a sock in the hole and remove early in the morning so the parents can feed them. Good luck. Craig
Ajw132

Thanks for the advice has been 2 days / nights its sibling is out flying but the jumper is still on the floor in the feed container or in a pot plant with its mum close by but yet to see it fly but glad it has survived and thanks for the posts advice much appreciated
Ajw132

Just to let you little jumper up flying and on perch
matcho

That's good to hear!

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some seem to be a little slower in getting up and about. And sometimes they are the keanest to be out and looking. Good luck with them.
LML
LML
Ajw132

So today I went into the aviary the jumper back on the ground again ( I think unless it's another jumper didn't think to check the nest) and chirping for food from the dad the dad had troubles flying up to the top of the aviary not sure if it was tired / exhausted or protective of the baby any thoughts ?

Return to “Breeding Finches”