Vagrant Nicobars...

Tiaris

The Broome area alone is the home for thousands of migratory shorebirds of other species each year, so what valid grounds could there possibly be to trap and kill a single vagrant pigeon of a threatened/engangered species which lobbed there for a spell - Ethical/moral/legal minefield. I think we all should sit down, have a few beers & sort this on out for them - its the least we could do for our hard working environmental bureaucrats. Just a shame it isn't Friday or Saturday.
toothlessjaws

The below linked article gives further clarification.

The bird was captured by a member of the public (a child) and handed to the local rangers who not recognising it did the right thing and contacted the dept of agriculture. The department did not catch it.

Its being held in Perth whilst DOA assess what to do with the bird. It sounds from the reports as if a population may have established themselves on the Australian mainland. I don't know who suggested euthanasia, but it would be against a set precedent: when exhausted fiordland penguins arrive on the mainland they usually end up at the Taronga zoo or released. in this case the zoo is only considered an option because of the extreme unlikelihood the birds will survive the return swim to NZ.

Evolution in action. I hope the Nicobars get going here!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-05/d ... ia/8500442
matcho

toothlessjaws wrote: 08 May 2017, 17:39

Evolution in action. I hope the Nicobars get going here!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-05/d ... ia/8500442
Well said TJ, my thoughts exactly! :thumbup:

Ken.
arthur

toothlessjaws wrote: 08 May 2017, 17:39 Evolution in action. I hope the Nicobars get going here!
Not a poster, so far, on this topic disagrees :thumbup:

But unless there is a 'tidal wave' of public outcry . . and possibly even with . .

I would still take "even-money" Euthanasia . . :silent:

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”