Eastern rosellas mutations

STUART WHITING

Mycoola wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 19:03 The western rosellas are the quietest, my canaries are louder, the western s have a pretty musical note., i live on a 20m wide block in town, the sun conures are pushing the boundaries with the neighbours as are my roosters, one day someone will whinge and the roos will have to go.
Yea I must admit that I do like the western rosellas and although I haven't seen em for along while the little Stanley rosella is another favourite of mine as I found these weren't to noisy,

If I were to go into parakeets / hookbills I'd probably go for the grasskeets, splendid, tourqisine, elegant and bourkes etc being quiter :thumbup:
Mycoola

I have had Red rump parrots and have 2 pr of hoodeds, i find these actually noisier then all the Rosellas.
In Rosellas i have Easterns, Westerns, Paleheads and Blue cheeks., and am thinking of going into more varieties of pure normal Rosellas. Have Princess, Red wings, kings, Mallee ringnecks, Galahs, Major Mitchell's, Scarlet chesteds (normal), Turquoisine (normal) and Elegants. And of course the good old budgie (normal size not the boof headed show ones).

As for the Rosellas even in certain breeds there is a lot of colour variations dependant on area of origin. Like in pale heads there is white head, and gold head. In blue cheeks there is blue backed with white head,,gold mantle (back)with gold head (townesville area), and the pr i currently have which is straw colour in the head and mantle and some of the front throat area ( i think are cape york area in origin ), the straw colour is similar to the body colour on Northern Rosellas.
My area for Easterns have a grass green mantle and rump, the breeding cocks i have ,have gold mantles but green rumps so not golden mantle rosellas which have a blueish rump.Not sure as in what you have in jolly old England Stuart.
starman

Mycoola wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 20:58 And of course the good old budgie (normal size not the boof headed show ones).
:thumbup: .......after visiting bird shows it's difficult to appreciate how small and beautifully iridescent the native Budgie actually is.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
STUART WHITING

Mycoola wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 20:58 I have had Red rump parrots and have 2 pr of hoodeds, i find these actually noisier then all the Rosellas.
In Rosellas i have Easterns, Westerns, Paleheads and Blue cheeks., and am thinking of going into more varieties of pure normal Rosellas. Have Princess, Red wings, kings, Mallee ringnecks, Galahs, Major Mitchell's, Scarlet chesteds (normal), Turquoisine (normal) and Elegants. And of course the good old budgie (normal size not the boof headed show ones).

As for the Rosellas even in certain breeds there is a lot of colour variations dependant on area of origin. Like in pale heads there is white head, and gold head. In blue cheeks there is blue backed with white head,,gold mantle (back)with gold head (townesville area), and the pr i currently have which is straw colour in the head and mantle and some of the front throat area ( i think are cape york area in origin ), the straw colour is similar to the body colour on Northern Rosellas.
My area for Easterns have a grass green mantle and rump, the breeding cocks i have ,have gold mantles but green rumps so not golden mantle rosellas which have a blueish rump.Not sure as in what you have in jolly old England Stuart.
Hi there mate,

To be honest with yer over here in England we pretty much have most of the mutations available because they all come through Europe and into the uk, although me personally as much as some of the mutations look nice I'd probably be more interested in a strain of good quality normals :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And of course the good old budgie (normal size not the boof headed show ones).

:thumbup: .......after visiting bird shows it's difficult to appreciate how small and beautifully iridescent the native Budgie actually is.

They have become like dogs. The native budgie and dog are one end of a line and at the other you have Great Danes and Show budgies.
LML
LML
Mycoola

I did go into mutations of Aussie parrots but now have been slowly going back to normals, like i now have good 100% pure Turquoise parrots and it took me ages to find a good pr of Scarlets without any red/orange in belly, i wanted pure yellow abdomen.
The pale heads and blue cheeks iam talking about are pure normals but it's the natural colour variation from different locations in their range. Will be picking up soon a pr of pale heads (gold heads) to keep separate from my white head pr.
Hopefully in the future i will get a pr of blue backed blue cheeks. As well as some other breeds of Rosellas. .
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mycoola wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 18:40 I did go into mutations of Aussie parrots but now have been slowly going back to normals, like i now have good 100% pure Turquoise parrots and it took me ages to find a good pr of Scarlets without any red/orange in belly, i wanted pure yellow abdomen.
The pale heads and blue cheeks iam talking about are pure normals but it's the natural colour variation from different locations in their range. Will be picking up soon a pr of pale heads (gold heads) to keep separate from my white head pr.
Hopefully in the future i will get a pr of blue backed blue cheeks. As well as some other breeds of Rosellas. .
Hmm I have seen red/orange in belly of wild type Scarlets....very little though....even my normal scarlets have the odd orangey tinge to a few feathers on belly... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Mycoola

Yes some wild scarlets and aviary bred normals will have some orange in belly, but i took my time to find ones with straight yellow bellies as this is what i prefer. Same with my turqs, my 2 pr have straight yellow fronts, and this what i what to breed for.fussy maybe but we have our tastes :thumbup:
Mycoola

Red wing chicks eyes are open and its getting pin feathers, mainly at the tail. Still being fed very well.
6 young turquoise in one nest and 2 hatched in another, unrelated prs, so should give me something to work with next year as both prs good normals.
Sold the 4 young Easterns , have one hen go back down on eggs. And pr up the back Cinnamon cock split red and lutino over split black hen. Have 5 young , watching one in particular as could be cinnamon rubino hen,there is also a cinnamon hen.
Mycoola

The hen Eastern ended up cinnamon red, still a nice looking bird.
Kakariki hen stopped feeding red wing when voice changed and pin feathers started to open, hand raising it now, going strong.

Return to “Parrots”