Tri coloured parrot finches

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Ajw132

Hi just after some help or advice in breeding tri coloured parrot finches boxes cane baskets nest cylinders breeding season diet health issues things to do or look out for thanks in advance
E Orix

Being so new to bird breeding are you aiming a bit high.
If you started off on some easier breeding birds you would gain experience but
more importantly less upsets and the absolute enjoyment of chicks appearing more regularly.
Ruddies, Saint Helenas, Long tails etc. all will breed without live food and will breed with
green seeding grass and soaked seed.
I get just a big of a buzz seeing a clutch of $20 birds as I do of $100 ones
One thing you are doing correct is asking questions and learning about a specie before jumping in
and buying first then trying to get info.
Tiaris

Blue-faced are by far the easiest of the Parrotfinches.
Re: Tri-colours though:
They will nest in either nest boxes or brush. I find that their preference is largely dependent on where they were bred (ask the breeder if they were bred in one or the other) however best to provide both as they will use the best of available options if keen enough.
There are 3 main keys to breeding TCPFs well (IMO):
1. Young birds to breed from;
2. Compatable pair. Pair bonding is far more important in TCPF than it is with other PFs.
3. Lean body condition at the commencement of breeding. This species is extremely prone to becoming fat if fed too rich a diet & with too little excercise immediately prior to breeding. If fat, you will struggle to get a fertile egg out of them & males just won't chase the hen sufficiently. With 1st time breeders I recommend dry seed, greens & grits diet only until nesting commences. Be very sparing with live foods and supplement until nesting has commenced. Once they breeding all the livefood & supplements you can provide is fine as it goes to fuelling the breeding/rearing efforts.
fat birds can be detected by checking the colour of the skin on the belly - yellow/orange colour is fat.
Not as important for breeding but for general well-being is the need for dense "cover" of brush or some form of screening which the birds can hide behind for a sense of security when they feel threatened.
Ajw132

Thanks I really like the vibrant blue colour of tri coloured any health issues apart from obesity ? Can they be housed in multiple pairs ? Should boxes be started with nest materials ? Do they need live food when nesting ( I've started a mealworms farm ) ? What is the best time for breeding ?
Tiaris

Can breed with multiple pairs but better chance of success as single pairs.
Will benefit from livefood when rearing young but not strictly essential provided regular greens and some softfood/sprouted seed/supplements are a daily staple.
Warm months are best for all PFs especially TCPF.
Egg-binding is a risk in cool months with maiden hens.
Regular worming & Cocci (baycox) regime is a good idea in humid coastal climate areas.
starman

Ajw, Tri-colours are very appealing, but a fairly expensive bird to start off your Parrot Finch breeding career. There is much sage advice in the preceding posts from two very experienced breeders. If you follow their advice closely you should have no difficulty in successfully breeding them, but the level of your success may depend on the set up and layout of your aviary. Apparently, habitat and privacy are important, as is protection from harassment, so a large planted aviary is preferred.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “The Lounge”