Black-throat (Parson) research - Pledge now!

Latest news from the AFF team.
SamDavis

Hi everyone,

Southern Black-throats (Parsons) - EXTINCT in NSW.
Let's get behind this research project and find out why, so we can save the QLD population.

Click on the following link and pledge now - you know you want to! :D
https://pozible.com/project/finches-in- ... ention-dna

If you've got questions then ask and I'll try to answer or if I can't I'll find out for you.

Regards,
Sam
Tiaris

The flock in the video are Diggles (Black-rumped) plus a couple of WE Maskeds & Stars. Must be from the Cape. Thanks for the link.
SamDavis

Tiaris wrote: 15 May 2017, 18:55 The flock in the video are Diggles (Black-rumped) plus a couple of WE Maskeds & Stars. Must be from the Cape. Thanks for the link.
Yes. John Griffith from up north has donated footage of black-rump (Diggles) plus a number of images to the cause. Part of the project will analyse and compare the DNA of Parsons with Diggles. In some areas the Diggles is encroaching on Parson habitat so there is an hypothesis that there is a genetic reason for this that the research hopes to identify. This has been the case for other species.
Craig52

SamDavis wrote: 16 May 2017, 07:05
Tiaris wrote: 15 May 2017, 18:55 The flock in the video are Diggles (Black-rumped) plus a couple of WE Maskeds & Stars. Must be from the Cape. Thanks for the link.
Yes. John Griffith from up north has donated footage of black-rump (Diggles) plus a number of images to the cause. Part of the project will analyse and compare the DNA of Parsons with Diggles. In some areas the Diggles is encroaching on Parson habitat so there is an hypothesis that there is a genetic reason for this that the research hopes to identify. This has been the case for other species.
If that is the case Sam would the Diggles have white feathers in their black rumps and the Parsons black and if this were so how can anybody stop this as a natural occurrence.
The same scenario is happening with the White and Black bellied Crimsons on the Cape and the crosses stand out like dogs .....
I doubt very much if people in the Avicultural circle will donate to this study, i might be wrong and yes it shows that Aviculture is and wants to be involved but its not a study of saving a bird from extinction through DNA analysis imo

Craig
SamDavis

My understanding is that Diggles are appearing in habitat where there were once Parsons. ie. the Parsons are gone and now Diggles are moving in, which indicates some possible genetic advantage of the Diggles over the Parson.
Ian Hamilton

Funny how a fincho explains it better than a (student?) scientist. :wtf:
casehulsebosch

Some pics of the Parsons we took South of Townsville on our trip to the Cape last year.
Was one of our target birds and had little trouble finding them. Spent the day in their location and took numerous pics.
Some of the pics where they were foraging for food on the ground clearly showed their white rump.

0U7A2108.jpg
0U7A2052.jpg

cheers, Case
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Thanks for sharing Case, nice pics. :thumbup: Craig
Tiaris

Is the bottom one near Townsville Case?
The paler pinkish body colour looks more like a Diggles to me.
gomer

These are Diggles finches for comparison. I have photos of rumps somewhere but would have to find them in all the photos.The light when the photo is taken may make colour different a little.
IMGdiggles_2389.jpg
IMG_diggles21920.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”