Sick gouldian

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Ajw132

Hi just after some advice I have a skinny gouldian breast bone showing and fluffy I have isolated it. It has watery white poos any suggestion cocci or worms? I have started Baycox and keeping it warm. It seems to be eating Should I treat the others in the aviary ? Any suggestions or thoughts ?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

temp should be up 32c in hospital box..... is there damp areas in aviary or overcrowding ...then yeah could be cocci.... need a stool sample tested to see what your up against..otherwise whole flock could come down... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Ajw132

Hi possibly damp as I don't have a concrete floor the aviary is not overcrowded and at the moment no live food is given to them. If it recovers should I do the rest of the birds thanks in advance
STUART WHITING

Ajw132 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 10:09 Hi just after some advice I have a skinny gouldian breast bone showing and fluffy I have isolated it. It has watery white poos any suggestion cocci or worms? I have started Baycox and keeping it warm. It seems to be eating Should I treat the others in the aviary ? Any suggestions or thoughts ?
Is the bird a youngster, chances are that if it's started to look thin and not being itself the damage is probably already done I'm sorry to say,

As a precaution I'd normally administer a sulphur drug such as Baycox from the age of 5 weeks old

If any birds are not on this treatment from an early age once fledged they can then start to go down hill and it's very rare that any will be saved as coccidiosis is a waisting disease that needs to be prevented rather than cured,

My only suggestion is to place in a hospital cage as Vettepilot_6 has stated and just hope for the best :thumbup:

Be lucky
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ajw132 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 16:37 Hi possibly damp as I don't have a concrete floor the aviary is not overcrowded and at the moment no live food is given to them. If it recovers should I do the rest of the birds thanks in advance
If it does recover after baycox treatment then yes I would definately treat the rest...and fix dampness issue :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
STUART WHITING

vettepilot_6 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 17:28
Ajw132 wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 16:37 Hi possibly damp as I don't have a concrete floor the aviary is not overcrowded and at the moment no live food is given to them. If it recovers should I do the rest of the birds thanks in advance
If it does recover after baycox treatment then yes I would definately treat the rest...and fix dampness issue :thumbup:
Absolutely, well said :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If alive and well after treatment, a couple of days on spark to perk her up is recommended.
LML
LML
STUART WHITING

finchbreeder wrote: 07 Jun 2017, 10:36 If alive and well after treatment, a couple of days on spark to perk her up is recommended.
LML
I've also used Spark in the past, the birdcare company uk I believe does it from memory and is good stuff :thumbup:

Certainly picks em up again and gives em a bit of a boost :mrgreen:

Return to “The Lounge”