infected toes in painted finches

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
mr skeeter

a mate of mine has had a couple painted finches with bite and swollen lumps on the toes which then get infected he's treated them with antiseptic lotions with no success. was hoping that someone could help.
E Orix

A high probability that they are Mosquito bites.
Most likely hard to heal and a toe lost a possibility.
Nye

Try dipping the affected foot in methylated spirits I treated yellow siskin years ago when i noticed what looked like a mosquito bite on his foot and it cleared it up. Good luck
Craig52

Better still try Betadine, it kills infection and drys it out. After a few days rub some Vaseline on the legs and leave it on. It worked when i had goldfinches years ago that are prone to mozie bites. Craig
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 12 Jun 2017, 22:29 Better still try Betadine, it kills infection and drys it out. After a few days rub some Vaseline on the legs and leave it on. It worked when i had goldfinches years ago that are prone to mozie bites. Craig
Interesting Craig, taken on board, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Tiaris

Betadine when infection is raw & savlon cream afterwards.
mr skeeter

graham vince is having problems he's tried savlon, betadein, with no results he's had to remove the toe but in the photo he sent me in between the toes there is swollen lumps which look infected.. its only in the painted finches. thanks to all for there input. mick
mary jane

My Gouldian cut his foot with a piece of string, trying to make his nest. I took him to Vet school. $350 later they said give him 2 drops a day of antibiotic, nothing topical. I can't get the tiny drop of antibiotic in him:( Terrible struggle to catch him and get him to open his mouth. Distressing for bird, and for me. My regular vet said wait a while to see if toe /foot should be removed. She said antibiotics in water just don't work. Maybe keep him in little hospital cage? Right now, it looks as tho he has a "club foot" as the injured toe is facing forward. He can't use it to grip perch.
Must I just let nature take it's course? Or make him take antibiotic drops, even if highly stressful? Will toe have to come off---it seems in his way? Thank you!
pyrttp

It was suggested to me recently to soak rice in citronella oil in a stocking and suspend in the aviary to deter mozzies. There are plenty of mozzies around in Sydney (and East Coast I suspect) following prolonged wet weather. I am yet to try this but thought I would share in case useful or someone else can confirm its effectiveness.

Betadine works a treat on foot problems with Painteds and other birds. I clean and then soak foot first in a Betadine solution and then apply ointment once there is an improvement and before releasing back in to the aviary.

I am also trying native plants that contain citronella. They are currently growing in pots outside the aviary with plans to rotate them into the aviary in due course.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wormwood round the avairys is supposed to be a deterant also.
LML

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”