Red fronted zebs

Includes Species Profile.
escapin

Mine are all aviary bred too. I dislike cages as they're ugly, not great for the birds and harder to maintain.
Tiaris

finchbreeder wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 10:20 While I avairy breed, I do so across 4 avairys. So put different selections in each avairy to achieve different goals. It is slower than in breeding cages obviously. Love what you guys are achieving. :thumbup:
LML
Why is aviary breeding slower than cages?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The breeding is not slower, the achieving a desired result is. Because the control is not quite so complete. e.g. Cages you put selected pairs, Avairys you put selected groups. Sorry if I was not clear.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Why not put selected pairs in the aviaries then?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because I have 4 avairys and more than 4 pairs of birds. And I'm trying to breed 4 types of Zeb. So one type to an avairy, is how I am doing it. And as we know when your playing arround with split recessives some of the young birds will and some will not have the desired gene, and with the reds you are lucky enough to be able to tell which are which in some cases but not all. Or put simply, I need more avairys, but Hubby does not agree. (I already snuck the last one in under the radar :silent: )
LML
LML
elferoz777

Planning on adding these to tbe reds to gets the red front cleaner.

They are apparently black bodied and charcoal. Thoughts?

Thoughts on how these guys may or may not gelp my cause?

I really need black faceand black bodied but can't fifindnt any.

Charcoal presents issues

Anyone with legit blackbodied or black face with no charcoal please pm me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
escapin

I have a charcoal cockbird that I bred, has a red bar across the middle of its chest.
It's has one young that looks similar just colouring up, hoping the colour has increased but wont know for a few more weeks.

I did have a seperate strain of charcoal reds that I sold off. They kept breeding regular charcoal hens and charcoal cocks with nice cheeks and flanks.. but never any red in the chest. It was like the red just wouldnt break through :thumbdown:
elferoz777

escapin wrote: 28 Jun 2017, 22:03 I have a charcoal cockbird that I bred, has a red bar across the middle of its chest.
It's has one young that looks similar just colouring up, hoping the colour has increased but wont know for a few more weeks.

I did have a seperate strain of charcoal reds that I sold off. They kept breeding regular charcoal hens and charcoal cocks with nice cheeks and flanks.. but never any red in the chest. It was like the red just wouldnt break through :thumbdown:

You need black face and black front the dominant mutations not charcoal. Problemis these are hard to het and most are mixed with charcoal.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
wagga

Hi Steve.
Are you are trying to bred a full dark red bodied bird in the Zebra'\s finch?
A quick google search --isabel red zebra finch - images - shows a number of variations of red birds. I am not sure if you need permission to display these photos.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/512495632576718192. Saves trying to explain what I am referring too.

IMO......Those birds that display the isabel and charcoal colours, unknown if any other colours in their blood lines, might be hindering your final goal. I would remove these type of birds from the breeding stock. As your are dealing with possibly 4 or 5 separate mutations colours at the same time. Then concentrate on developing a dark red zebra, if that is your final goal for example. Only introduce other colour types which might enhance your blood lines, like the black face zebra :thumbup: :thumbup:.

This is the colour type that I was trying to develop.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/296885800417241609
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
elferoz777

First pic is what im after.

I feel charcoal screws this up.

The bf and bb is dominant and this shoukd express more red when crossed with a red bird.

Ill be culling like a demon soon as im heading to oeru and will aim to only keep my redest buggest birds

Return to “Zebra”